I've Died And Gone To Bacon Heaven!!! Baconnaise

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Made another batch of baconnaise yesterday.
IMG_20230716_114341.jpg

The first batch is GONE! LOL!!! I'll be bringing this batch to the fishing camp next weekend for the annual Cajun/Kansas fishing trip to use on sandwiches and some fresh walleye po-boys! This batch has incredible flavor!!! Cook that bacon on low so as not to scorch the drippings.

I made this batch exactly like the last one, only this time the lemon was cold from the refrigerator. Note to self....heat the bacon fat a little hotter if the lemon is cold, or put the lemon in the warm water with the eggs to warm. I did not get a good emulsion. Had to boil some water, add 2 tsps. to a new container and start again by drizzling the broken mayo into the hot water with the immersion blender going. That worked. Soft and nice and creamy!!

I, missed this one in the beginning, now I'm on board following. POINTS!!
Definitely on the to do list soon! My wife would make us a soggy salad from time to time. Fresh lettuce tomatoes and onions, wilt it with hot bacon grease, maybe a dash of pepper.

RG

I haven't. I have looked around for the mass produced stuff, but no luck. Next thought was to bake some bacon til it gets super crumbly the way the wife likes it,( just this side of burnt) run that thru the blender and mix the dust into some store bought mayo. Hasn't happened yet either.
I got side tracked trying to make a sourdough starter and reading whatever I can about the process.
I'm a one project at a time kind of guy especially when I'm out of my depth.

This is on my to do list still. Haven't had enough bacon grease to do it. Plan on cooking bacon a few times the balance of the year for BLT's before my fresh tomatoes are gone.

Somehow I missed this in the early summer. I love bacon grease, esp for hash browns, but the missus prefers the clean stuff. The chunky stuff needs a purpose like this. But I don't have the energy to make mayo from eggs and not sure how to get it blended into store-bought mayo?

Somehow missed this too. I've been wanting to make some mayo recently and this has my brain juices flowing.

I don't think I've ever had 2 cups of bacon fat. Totally out now. Might have to fry up some bacon, save the fat, supplement with sunflower oil, and blend 2 or 3 strips of chopped bacon with the eggs and stuff before adding and emulsifying the fats. Might work: might just make a greasy mess. We'll see! Thanks for the inspiration!

Reactions: mosparky
I will be trying this spread also, thanks for posting. When getting short of bacon grease, I occasionally buy a little pack of inexpensive hog jowl (from the cheek but resemble fatty bacon ends in texture and flavor), sometimes it hard to find and have to call around. I put a new grease foil pan on my Griddle and fry it up. It puts off a lot of "bacon" grease and makes little chewy snackies similar to jerky to keep in the freezer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky