Is there a decent remote smoker/meat thermometer? NOT Maverick

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rexlan

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
I have had two of the Maverick Redi Check ET-73 units and both are not what I consider usable.  They claim it will work to 100' which i might if it is a clear line of sight.  My experience says it won't work 25' if there is a wall involved.  I guess if your smoker is in the living room it might work but mine is outside!

Has anyone found a "reliable" remote smoker temperature unit that actually works with the smoker outside and a couple of walls involved?

Thanks

There is a super easy modification you can do to the maverick units I saw on here a while back. google instructables and antenna modifications. You can increase your range and power by one heck of a lot in an hour with some wire and a soldering iron.

There is a super easy modification you can do to the maverick units I saw on here a while back. google instructables and antenna modifications. You can increase your range and power by one heck of a lot in an hour with some wire and a soldering iron.
Did that and it made no difference for me.  I also found another one and did the same mod on the receiver ... still not much better.

Last edited:
When I got my Maverick 732 I walked 3 block away and it was still reading it.
Had it over two years, works every time ( I smoke every weekend) lots of 12 hours days.
It will read it in every room in the house, I think that reliable enough for me.

That 732 sounds good ... just ordered one!

Love my 732. I will sometimes lose signal, most likely due to frequency interference, but after a few seconds it regains the signal. Great distances too! Haven't tried to go 3 blocks but I have gone a few doors down.

Did that and it made no difference for me.  I also found another one and did the same mod on the receiver ... still not much better.
aluminum siding, or some vinyl siding does a pretty good job of blocking signal. if you have that you may be out of luck. too bad no one makes a repeater.

aluminum siding, or some vinyl siding does a pretty good job of blocking signal. if you have that you may be out of luck. too bad no one makes a repeater.
Some of the new homes also have that new aluminum faced bubble wrap or foil faced ridged insulation under the siding.  It does the same thing.  I have a buddy who's home is like a huge Faraday cage and there is no cellular service at all inside, but 5 bars as soon as you get near a window or door.  He has the foil faced insulation under a residing job they did for more energy efficiency.  It started after that.

Not that no cellular service can not also be a good thing. Nope, phone never rang....

Last edited:
I too have the Et-73 and never had good luck with the remote. Not to mention that one of the sensors never worked from day one. So now I just use the sending unit for it. Let us know how the ET-732 works for you. I have been considering it too, as others have had good luck with it here.

I have a Traeger thermometer...it's not wireless.  I do use it....but I really like this one.  Master Forge Wireless 23557. Got it at Home Depot and I take it all over the house with me.  Also...went next door to the neighbors and it still worked just fine.

Ive got the 732 and took off on the golf cart with it out at the campground and got a good 200-250 yards away and it was working fine, went a little further maybe 50 yards and got behind some trees and the signal was in and out but still reading at times.  That was when I first got it and have used it over a year now with no issues, I'm impressed with it and think you'll enjoy it.

Well, my ET-73 is sitting here beside my right now about 50' away from my smoker and it's telling me both the smoker temp and the meat temp. It's been awhile since I calibrated it, but I trust it far more than the built-in units in the MES 40.

I've had this unit for a long, long time - maybe 10 years. I used it for years in the kitchen oven. I also have a Maverick ET - 901 that I got at about the same time. It doesn't alarm which is the only reason I got the 73.

I don't have any problems with reception but I don't ask a lot of it either. My house is brick and too old to have insulation that would block signal.

That OS AW131 looks like a sweet unit if you want to monitor only the meat temp. If it has the means to monitor smoker temp, I missed it. I am sometimes clumsy enough to futz up the MES; therefore I need to monitor the smoker temp, too. I should think that those who stick fire on large smokers might also want to be alerted if the temp drops. The price of the 131 on Amazon of just under $35 is a good price point.

None of what I said means that you don't have problems. I'm just trying to add M2CW.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky