Is the Yoder YS640 worth $750 more than the RecTec Stampede?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My answer would be no and is based on owning the Yoder for over 3 years and just added a rec tec 700 (Bull) to my arsenal. Yes, the Yoder is built like a beast and the size of a tank which makes it more difficult to maneuver and move.

I am super impressed with the rec tec for less money. The wi fi option, built in probes, and ability to change and check temps when away has been great. The build is not near the yoder and if I had a do over I would probably add the competition cart to the rec tec as the current legs and wheels are kind of flimsy in my opinion.

They both cook well and do what they are supposed to. I like the traditional looks of the yoder vs the rec tec and find the horn handles kind of silly. A small thing that is also a pain is the assemble you have to do with the rec tec. It's not bad but you still have to do it. I have turned out excellent product on both!

I have also had a Cookshack and a Treager pellet grill. Of the 4 I definetly prefer the Yoder and the Rec Tec for what it's worth.

So I actually just sold my RecTec 680 (older model bought in 2012ish) and picked up a Yoder 640 on a comp cart. I do miss the 40lb hopper, but I personally find the construction a lot better on the Yoder. The RecTec seemed very top heavy when wheeling it around and the temps were off a fair amount (not severe differences).

I know RecTec has made vast improvements since mine was built but I was just ready for a change (and shelves and an extra rack) so I made the jump. The Yoder moves around from garage to patio much better and in my opinion has a much better fit and finish.

Lastly, why not the Yoder 480 since you're comparing it to the smaller Rec Tec?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky