Weathering The Storm While Helping Others

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Just got back from walking the puppy and had some thoughts while I was out there in the cold and rain by myself. Came home and read a post by my good friend Steve Steve H Steve H and he commented on the exact things that ran through my mind while out with the puppy. First a little history. I grew up in the construction industry. My father was a contractor from the time I was 6. For those not familiar with life in construction, it's always hit or miss, feast or famine. Half of our basement was floor to ceiling shelves and chest freezers. My mom was in a food co op. She and the other ladies in the area would buy directly from a distributor and buy in bulk. The only caveat was that they had to order full cases of stuff. Often as not the ladies would take a few cans each until the full case was allocated for and order it. Food was delivered once a month at the local fire department. Everything was divided out per what each person ordered and we'd take it all home. Those shelves and freezers stayed full at all times when things were good so we didn't do without when things went south. That preparedness is something I grew up with and it's stuck with me my entire life. Any of you that have had the misfortune of reading something I've posted know that I tend to keep well stocked with meats, a lot of which are homemade. Tracy always keeps us stocked with other essentials. When this melee hit, we didn't have to do anything to be prepared for it....we already were. I got a call from my sales manager at Certified Piedmontese Beef last Monday letting me know that people were hitting the online food sources hard. They stood a chance of running very low on inventory and if there was something I might need, I should consider ordering it before things get terminal. Talked to Tracy and we decided to place a considerable order. This was noted in a different thread yesterday but thought I should clarify a bit and expand a tad on what Steve mentioned. We are in good shape but some other folks may not be in quite as good a position and if things continue to get worse, we wanted to be in a position to help. Some of this has already been posted but here's what we did in order to ensure that nobody goes hungry on our guard. This was the order that showed up yesterday.

A bunch of steaks, some ground beef, and two 103 sub primal rib sections.
003.jpg

The two 103 sub primal rib sections will be treated differently. One will get cut into tomahawk rib eyes and the other will be trimmed and set up to be a full prime rib. Here is a pic of the freezer in the garage. All of the boxed stuff that was just delivered is here but the two 103 rib sections are not
005.jpg

006.jpg

On the door is some of the homemade sausages and cured meats. The rest are in the other three freezers inside, as well as 6 or 8 more boxes of CPB, things like tenderloin patties, all beef hot dogs, more ground beef, etc.

Here is the pic that's most relevant to this thread
007.jpg

Those four large boxes are specially made shipping coolers that CPB uses to deliver their frozen meats in. They pack the stuff and add reusable frozen ice blocks, which I've also been saving. All of this is has been saved in order to help somebody who may not be in a position to get what they need to sustain. I know there's no way we can save the whole world, but if somebody...anybody we know needs food, we can ensure they don't go without. I can pack the stuff up, add ice blocks, and ship 2-day air to ensure the meat arrives safely. It's not a huge gesture but blessedly we are in a position that we can be prepared, for ourselves and for others if the need arises. I just thought I should take a minute and explain the rationale behind our large purchase in hopes that folks don't think I'm being part of the supply problem by "hoarding". This isn't about us, it's about helping other people if need be. In all honesty, we will be having a friend drop by at some point today who is in need of help. She's a server at my little pub, which closed down a few days ago. She has no money and no food. That will all be changing for her later. I've known her for a long time and she's just a wonderful person.There's no way that lady is going to do without...not if there is anything we can do about it.

Thanks to all for understanding,
Robert

A wonderful gesture Robert, good karma! We've only got one freezer but it's always packed, glad I scored three whole primes at Xmas. Making our own sausage, burgers, and bacon really stretches the meat supply out also. RAY

Reactions: chopsaw
Good post. We ALL can do something. Even if it's not scooping up all of the TP or ground beef when stores get it. Take some and leave some for others. We do need to look out for ourselves, but we also need to be aware of others and help when we can. Nothing is really insignificant. I'm a firm believer in things coming full circle, good and bad. Do something for someone....pay it foward

That's what it's all about...helping others in need. At times it doesn't take much, sometimes just being courteous, a smile, saying hi, or holding a door open for someone. Our local news had s story about someone that started a Facebook page near Sioux City, Iowa, just so local restaurants could post their take out menus, hours of operation, etc. I don't have Facebook but allowing anyone to view it. The appreciation was overwhelming, small businesses and local "mom and pop" places are hurting now also. The local support was awesome to see.

Ryan

Reactions: Blues1
Nicely done Robert. You again have shown the type of person you are. Considerate and helpful.

That's great, now take all the stuff off the tops or sides of the freezer, make sure they are not connected a gfi circuit, trust me it may have never have tripped before but its going to. Most of the freezers don't have coils and fans for the condenser, they run the hot gas loop thru the cabinet, just put your hand on the left side some time when its running and you will see where they are. also a drain gets stopped up will reduce air flow and reduce cooling .

tx smoker tx smoker Quote,
"I know there's no way we can save the whole world, but if somebody...anybody we know needs food, we can ensure they don't go without.

She's a server at my little pub, which closed down a few days ago. She has no money and no food. That will all be changing for her later. I've known her for a long time and she's just a wonderful person.There's no way that lady is going to do without...not if there is anything we can do about it."

You've brought a tear to my eye! It's people like you and your wife who restore my faith in the human race!

God Bless You My Friend!

John

Last edited:
I consider myself Fortunate to know a person such as yourself Robert. If just a small percentage of people were as considerate and generous as you, there would be little hunger, little poverty and the world would be a better place! Thank you...JJ

You've humbled me TX. There are a lot of retired/widowed single women in our neighborhood who are good friends, though they don't visit like they used to of course. The next time I get out for things, I need to get in touch to see if they need anything.....
Dan

You've humbled me TX. There are a lot of retired/widowed single women in our neighborhood who are good friends, though they don't visit like they used to of course. The next time I get out for things, I need to get in touch to see if they need anything.....
Dan

An absolute awesome gesture from two top notch folks. Robert, I consider it an honor getting to know a bit about you and Tracy the last little while... Two very unselfish folks that like helping others!

Congrats to you Robert for your generosity.
I have also told family and friends that if they should run into a bind for meat, that I have them covered.

Robert, do you have freezer alarms hooked up, or do you check them on a regular basis? I have alarms on 2 of the 3 freezers. Going to order another, "just in case".

This is the one I use. Moderators , please remove if inappropriate.

Last edited:
I saw those awhile ago. But didn't get them because I didn't like the idea of the wire getting pinched in the door gaskets. I have a wireless one on the freezer in the garage. It is like this one.

I've had it for about 5 years now. The range isn't strong enough to have the receiver in the house. But the alarm can be heard from the back door. I just ordered this for the freezer I have coming.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky