Input/opinion on this Bratwurst recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sprky

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 26, 2007
Hutchinson Kansas
I was give this recipe. To me it looked like there was way too much spices in it. So I sent Chef Jimmy a message to get his input. He suggested i make some changes in amounts. so I did. He went on to say "this guy is Combining multiple Brat styles together. Milk, Eggs and Garlic from a Thuringer Brat, Caraway, Celery Seed, Cardamom, Coriander and Marjoram from a German Classic Brat and a bunch of ingredients from a Wisconsin Brat recipe. "
I know about using tried and true recipes, but the guy that gave me this swears its a old family recipe, and is good.
So now I'd like to hear from others that have A LOT more knowledge then I do on sausage making, what do ya all think? Will it work and be a decent sausage? Should I scrap it and find another? Changes/omissions you would make, ECT. Any and all input on this is GREATLY appreciated good bad or ugly.
Here is the ingredient list in the amounts Jimmy suggested. The original amounts are to the right of the ingredient in red.
10 # Pork Butt
2 Cups Nonfat Powdered Milk
3 Tablespoons Kosher Salt (4 Tablespoons)
2 Tablespoon White Sugar
1 Teaspoon Ground Ginger (1 Tablespoon)
1 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg (1 Tablespoon)
1 Teaspoon Ground Mace (1 Tablespoon)
4 Teaspoon White Pepper
2 Teaspoon Mustard Powder
2 Teaspoon Ground Allspice
2 Teaspoon Onion Powder
2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 Teaspoon Ground Coriander
1 Teaspoon Ground Cardamom
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Caraway
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Celery Seed
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Marjoram
16 oz Beer (Coors Banquet) (This is the beer the guy uses)
2 Eggs

It’s sausage so it’s subjective and Jimmy didnt steer you wrong but I’d guess the last few spices will just get lost in those quantities. Idk.. they def wont hurt anything and I could be wrong but I’d be suprised if you could tell the difference in a batch without them.

The mace is interesting.. make your brat taste like a hot dog. Give it a whirl and report back!

Jimmy didnt steer you wrong but I’d guess the last few spices will just get lost in those quantities.
I'm POSITIVE Jimmy didn't, thats why I sent him a message, I value his input. I was wondering the same thing.

A lot going on there that's for sure, I'd be tempted to give it a go just as your friend gave it to you, ya never know it might be great. But it does have an awful lot of spices.

Reactions: indaswamp
While the Original Recipe is not ridiculously over spiced, the first three seemed like an awfully large amount. Ginger and especially Nutmeg and Mace, are Potent Spices. Too much Ginger in a Pumpkin Pie and it can even mute the Cinnamon. My Onion Soup Recipe uses Nutmeg. I use a bit less than 1/2tsp of fresh grated Nutmeg in 1 Gallon. I once went heavy, a full teaspoon and ended up with NUTMEG SOUP! If you look at Len Poli's Pork Bratwurst recipe, he uses 1/2 teaspoon Mace for 5 pounds of sausage.
I too would give the original recipe a try but, I would make a 5 pound batch. That way if the spices are to strong, add more meat as needed...JJ

Reactions: sprky and zwiller
I think it is way overspiced but agree he is doing a combo of styles. Could be the best sausage ever but doubt it. My experience is that simpler is better. Shame that it is not done by weight, you could scale it down and try it without spending $100 in spices... :emoji_laughing:

I've started adding ginger to brats and some other sausage . I use it at the adjusted rate suggested .
1/4 tsp per 2 1/2 pounds . About 0.5 grams is plenty .

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Before you buy spices, especially the cardamom and mace... :emoji_laughing: Honestly, the only way I would even attempt that recipe is if you had eaten some of his and was BLOWN away with it. Otherwise, there are so many great brat mix options available. Here's a few but there's many more:
https://www.owensbbq.com/brat-seasoning.html
https://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=86_113
]https://www.psseasoning.com/collections/bratwurst-and-fresh-links-seasoning

I am without hesitation gonna recommend the Wisconsin one for you :emoji_laughing: Based on your interest in that recipe being a combo, maybe try a 50/50 mix of WI and the onion and garlic or something.

I agree with Sam , on both the package mix , and the if you had it and loved it .
This is one that I really like . Uses eggs and milk .

Reactions: zwiller
I don't know if you have them in your area but Indian Groceries have very good prices on spices like Mace, Cardamom, Coriander, Ginger, Etc that are used in assorted Masala. My Daughter picked up Whole Dried Ginger an Mace. The flavor and aroma, fresh ground, is much brighter than preground...JJ

Honestly, the only way I would even attempt that recipe is if you had eaten some of his and was BLOWN away with it.
I havent had it, and he doesnt make it. Way i got this was we were talking at work, and I mentioned I was gonna start making sausage. He chimed in stated he had a old family recipe, hed share with me if I wanted. He went on to say he doesnt make sausage as its easier and cheaper to just go buy, and only time he gets this sausage is when he gos back home. I told him I dont agree, on cheaper, easer yes. Plus by making you know exactly whats in it, and have control over the amount of salts. I have decided I am going to tell him I'll make him some IF he buys the stuff to make it, Ill supply the casings. That way I get to try it out at minimal cost to me LOL I'm off till Monday so we shall see.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky