Improvise, Overcome, & Adapt!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texomakid

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 6, 2017
Lake Texoma
Been a busy week but I had a couple of whole chickens I've been wanting to smoke so Sunday was the day.
Got them thawed, quick rinse & dry, I decided to inject them with Tony's Cajun Butter & a dusting of Killer Hogg's HOT rub.
Fired up the WSM with Kingsford & Hickory chunks, stabbed the birds onto the spit and off we go for 3 hours of smoke. It was a Chamber of Commerce day and we
Took full advantage of it!

As I brushed off the top and installed it right after loading the birds I discovered the thermometer on the lid was out of wack! it was reading 350 deg and it was 70 outside. After pondering on weather to install one of many electric thermometers I have I decided to wing it. Hell, we've all cooked BBQ before without all the
Ching-ga-lays so I set the WSM up as I always do to run around 250 - got a relative temp with was showing 150 and rolled with it.

IMG_6695.jpeg

IMG_6696.jpeg

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. they were both perfect. After 3 hours the breast was right at 165 and I pulled em. Skin removed for eating and the meat was fantastic. I really like Hickory and they both had just the right amount of smoke. We got a lot of things done Sunday, had perfect weather and a great meal with beans, corn, and garden salad.

I've got to use the WSM more often. It's a great cooker.
Thanks for looking and I hope everyone voted!

Nice cook ! I do alot of whole chickens . I agree with using the WSM more . I need to do the same . Mines a 14 , but great smoker / grill .
Tony's injection is awesome on poultry .
Awesome property you have .
I voted . Thank you for doing the same .

Reactions: texomakid
Awesome Looking Birds you got there, Randy!!!
Nice Job!!
Like.
I voted a month ago. They just didn't count mine yet. Soon.

Bear

Winging it "use to be" how things were cooked for a looooog time and it looks like you "it" the wing just right. Looks tasty to me nice work.

Thanks for all the likes!
As for the skin, it's too rubbery after 3 hours in the smoker but my wife did make some chicken stock with the skin & bones from one of the chickens. It wasn't a complete waste.
Now I've got to replace that thermometer just because...........:emoji_laughing:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky