I'm Sold On SV !!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rafter H BBQ

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 18, 2013
S.E. Idaho
Hey all, been wanting to try sous vide cooking for a while now & finally took the plunge ! Like most that have went SV lately, Al's pastrami thread (Thanks Al) give me the push to get a machine ! I'll be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect with this method ! But ordered this machine to give SV a go ! Sure glad I did !

Long story short, done some Chuck steaks & a T bone seasoned with SPOG ! Seriously melt in your mouth good ! Wow !! These steaks were cooked SV for 2 hrs at 130* then were seared on the griddle for a minute on each side... They were outstanding, possibly the best I've had ! After the sear, I poured some of the juices from the bag back on the steak & put a pat of butter on em ! IMO, wow were they tasty ! Sorry, no finished pics of the T bone as the wife & kids were on it before I could get the camera, LOL !

Anyway, here's the pics I did get !

The juices that were poured back over the steak after the sear !

The steak !

Served with oven roasted veggies, but next time they will be SV too !

Thanks for lookin all, if you've ever though of sous vide but wasn't sure bout it... Go for it, you won't be disappointed !

Justin that looks fantastic,tried to convince SWMBO she said NO Way Points for a great first cook

Richie

Looks great!! Can't wait to get mine.

Justin that looks fantastic,tried to convince SWMBO she said NO Way Points for a great first cook
Richie

i by passed the financial department on this purchase!

Lol, I too bypassed the warden on this one by using gift cards. Just this morning she goes "You should just return that pressure cooker, it's a waste!"

Richie

Thanks for the kind words & point my friend ! If the Mrs reconsiders, this is a great way of cooking !

Looks great!! Can't wait to get mine.

Lol, I too bypassed the warden on this one by using gift cards. Just this morning she goes "You should just return that pressure cooker, it's a waste!"

Oh no don't do that! Pressure cookers are awesome for making soups, stews, chili, beans quickly .

Nice,I'm still on the fence but maybe someday.
Being in your boat, it was decided to go with a Willhi temperature controller ($30) and a small aquarium pump for circulation ($10). Using a hot plate and a slow cooker pot, the water temperature can be kept within 1° of the desired temperature, works great.

The plus side, the temp controller can be used to operate fans, space heaters, or even electric smokers, the aquarium pump can still be used in the aquarium.

T

Justin, your steak looks scrumptious! Is the bag that your steak is in a special one or a plain vac seal jobbie ?

Looks Mighty Tasty from the Bear Den!!
drool.gif
drool.gif

Nice Job, Justin!!
icon14.gif
points.gif

Bear

WHB Looks great!!! I wonder how it would being done with some elk steak??? I just can't see myself getting one of those?? LOL Well maybe some day 

DS

WHB Looks great!!! I wonder how it would being done with some elk steak??? I just can't see myself getting one of those?? LOL Well maybe some day 

DS

Yeah don't get one because once you have wild game cooked Sous Vide you won't want it any other way. Had some elk SV at one of our local grubbiries a while back. Melt in your mouth insane. One of the reasons I bought mine.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky