Hurricane Irma!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Made it though with minimal damage, few trees down and power out with lines down on the ground Gen power for days coming up I'm sure.

The smoke house / bar stayed strong even with trees going down around it.  Hurricane tested, ended up coming right over us instead of  way to the west.

Made it though with minimal damage, few trees down and power out with lines down on the ground Gen power for days coming up I'm sure.
The smoke house / bar stayed strong even with trees going down around it.  Hurricane tested, ended up coming right over us instead of  way to the west.

Glad to hear everything's well... It was a rough ride

Reactions: fliptetlow
Sounds like the Keys got the worst of it but I'm sure everyone felt it.  Have a few friends that had minimal damage so happy for that. Just went through Harvey here in Houston and I'm still not quite over it.  Been through 4 hurricanes and 2 bad tropical storms and none of them were any fun.  Good news is that with perseverance and prayers you will get through it no matter what.

One story I do have for SmokinAl (who I hope is alright) was brought to mind about your big smoker being left in place.  During hurricane Ike my neighbor had a 500# Lyfe Tyme offset smoker he just left in his yard across the street.  The storm surge picked the thing up, floated it across the street to my front yard and lodged it into one of my trees!  Shows you the power of one of those storms, it seems nothing man made can last long against Mother Nature's fury.

Be safe, good luck in recovery and hope to hear from you soon brother!!!

This is now bugging the crap out me ... Someone here I am sure has Al's number and if they have contacted him... just post up he and wife is ok ... seems different around here without him posting up through the day ... we all know how bad this storm was ,, even around us when you cant even find a Waffle House open .. That;s bad ...I looked on forum, off and on all day at work .. and never seen him log on ..

Last edited:
Apparently, as of 9/12/17, 98% of the Sebring, FL area is still without power, but there are videos posted on YouTube showing how the area looks as of 9/12.  Mobile homes and manufactured homes took a big hit.  Foundation structured homes and businesses appear fine in the videos.  Al probably doesn't have power yet.  Wishing him and Judy the best.  Hope to see him on here soon.

Ray 

Apparently, as of 9/12/17, 98% of the Sebring, FL area is still without power, but there are videos posted on YouTube showing how the area looks as of 9/12.  Mobile homes and manufactured homes took a big hit.  Foundation structured homes and businesses appear fine in the videos.  Al probably doesn't have power yet.  Wishing him and Judy the best.  Hope to see him on here soon.

Ray 
What I was thinkng.  No power.   

Praying thats all it is.

Ray 

What I was thinkng.  No power.   

Praying thats all it is.

I pm'ed Al Sat afternoon, he said they were as prepared as they could be. Not sure how strong of winds or how much rain they got, but he did mention his house was supposed to withstand up to 135 mph winds. Sure praying & hoping he & Judy are okay.

I'm not sure about Sebring, but my mother-in-law is reporting no power, groceries, gas etc. in Naples.. Hopefully he's outside smoking up all his reefer meat for the neighbors. I can't imagine what that place looks and smells like right now. Hope all is well for for them..

Last edited:

I'm not sure about Sebring, but my mother-in-law is reporting no power, groceries, gas etc. in Naples.. Hopefully he's outside smoking up all his reefer meat for the neighbors. I can't imagine what that place looks and smells like right now. Hope all is well for for them..
I "zeroed in" on that and it just cracked me up.  Seriously though, I hope he and his wife are okay.

Well I haven't been on the forum much the last couple of days, cause as most of you know this hurricane is bearing down on us here in Florida.

I've been thru a bunch of hurricanes since moving to FL in 1970, but never had one this strong before.

And it seems to be headed straight for us, east coast, west coast or the center of the State, we all are going to be affected.

Right now there is no water or non perishable food in the grocery stores. Most of the gas stations are out of gas.

I have plenty of water & food. A generator, and several cans of gas. But if this thing hits us full strength, I won't have a house.

I have been trimming all the trees around the house & moving everything in my shed, or tying it down.

The Lang is going to have to stay where it is. If this hurricane moves that, then the house will be gone too.

The last models show it moving to the east a bit which would spare me, but Rick (Nepas) is right on the east coast in a 5th wheel.

I wonder if he will just hook it up & take it out of the State.

Anyhow, it's not going to get here for a couple more days, so hopefully it will bend more to the east & just go out into the Atlantic!

I may not be on for a while after it hits, cause I'm sure we won't have electricity for several days or even weeks.

Wish Judy & I good luck guys & I hope all of us SMF'ers in FL come out of this OK.

Al
Al

Hope you and Judy made it ok.

We left the 5th wheel in the park and split out to N, GA to our daughters on the 5th. Normally a 7 hr drive took us almost 18. Gas was avail going out of state but rare coming back. Yes the stores have no water, ice and out of many many groceries.

We had no damage to the 5th wheel and none to the others who left them. The resort had to evac by the 6th. Small trees and branches down. My smoker and stuffers made it...YAY

Hope everyone in the path made it.

Glad to hear you are OK Nepas and trailer is fine.

Here's one for you I hope Al and wife are fine but have any of you ever been through a with draw of any kind I mean can you imagine what Al's going through not being on the SMF for over a week.

But again hope they are fine.

Warren

I may not be on for a while after it hits, cause I'm sure we won't have electricity for several days or even weeks.

Wish Judy & I good luck guys & I hope all of us SMF'ers in FL come out of this OK.

Al
I'm sure Al & Judy are fine, and the thing he's worried about most is that we are all worried about them.

I remember when we lost Electric for 6 days due to that freak October snow storm a few years ago, and I had no way of getting on the forum to let everybody know we were fine & heating things up on the top of our Woodstove!!

Still praying for you & Judy anyway, Al !!

Bear

glad to hear Rick... we've not heard from Al yet... I'm good.. lost some shingles... put a claim in already...
Shingles replaced, You and wife not. GREAT to hear y'all are ok. I will be at gathering in Nov.

I've been looking daily for news stories on restoring power in the aftermath of Irma.  Evidently most of the power restoration is taking place in the larger population centers.  Outlying areas, including county communities outside major population centers, could be without power for weeks according to various power company sources.  Sebring, FL fits that lower population profile; middle of the state and a population just over 10k.  Lets hope and pray they get power sooner.     

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky