Hurricane Irma!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
Well I haven't been on the forum much the last couple of days, cause as most of you know this hurricane is bearing down on us here in Florida.

I've been thru a bunch of hurricanes since moving to FL in 1970, but never had one this strong before.

And it seems to be headed straight for us, east coast, west coast or the center of the State, we all are going to be affected.

Right now there is no water or non perishable food in the grocery stores. Most of the gas stations are out of gas.

I have plenty of water & food. A generator, and several cans of gas. But if this thing hits us full strength, I won't have a house.

I have been trimming all the trees around the house & moving everything in my shed, or tying it down.

The Lang is going to have to stay where it is. If this hurricane moves that, then the house will be gone too.

The last models show it moving to the east a bit which would spare me, but Rick (Nepas) is right on the east coast in a 5th wheel.

I wonder if he will just hook it up & take it out of the State.

Anyhow, it's not going to get here for a couple more days, so hopefully it will bend more to the east & just go out into the Atlantic!

I may not be on for a while after it hits, cause I'm sure we won't have electricity for several days or even weeks.

Wish Judy & I good luck guys & I hope all of us SMF'ers in FL come out of this OK.

Al

You and Judy will be in our thoughts and prayers!

Sounds like you have decided against bailing out and I completely understand and respect that decision.  I'm sure you have battened down the hatches as much as possible but don't forget personal protection as well.  These events seem to bring out the very best and the very wort in humankind.

Keep your head down and your powder dry and if there is anything we can do just let us know.

Be safe.  I cant imagine what must be going through your head.

I know Rick is headed to GA.

Every one on the east coast may feel some of it,I hope and pray everyone stays safe,I have family not far from you Al God Bless

Richie

Thoughts and Prayers are with you Al and the rest of the folks the Hurricane  affects. Stay safe my friend.

My son who lives in Houston dodged the bullet his house didn't get flooded.

Thinking of everyone in its path

Gary

Al, you and Judy stay safe, be smart.  Our thoughts and prayers are with you and all the SMF'ers in Florida.  Little miracles can add up to big ones. 

An aunt of mine in Spring, TX, a Houston suburb, had no damage or flooding.  Little miracles.

Good luck Al and all SMF fellows in the path of Irma.

I've been thru hurricanes twice (while travelling) and is a scary experience.

Hope this b-tch Irma loses some strength before it gets to you.

As you made it through all the storms that have hit Florida since 1970 you know what you are doing. I grew up 14 miles from the coast in the Mobile AL area and know all too well that knowing what to do can keep one alive but does not make it any easier. This is my first day back at work here in Houston. We were blessed to have no damage at our house but all around us flooded. As a teenager, I and family held on when Camille, a Catagory 6, hit the MS coast about 30 miles away. Hunker down as we say here in TX. That Lang will be waiting for its first cook after the storm to get everything back to normal. That is what we are focused on here in Houston...getting back to normal, even if it is a little different.

We got a email from corporate today that we will shut down work Saturday, Sunday, and Monday .. so if the smoker is still there, may have to smoke a bunch again .. for all the neighbors I suppose .. we been here in Tampa Bay since 83, we had a gig one that came through east of us , affected Lakeland, Orlando area pretty bad .. we just got a new roof about a year and a half ago and code was to renail the entire deck with longer nails... 

Thoughts & Prayers from the Bear Family to Al, Judy, and all you guys down there blocking for us.

Hang on there Gang!!

Bear

Praying that you all will be safe in this storm.

Best of luck and prayers going out to you and yours Al.
Same goes to all the people I know in Florida,which is quite a few counting people online like Al, Griz, Nepas.
Stay safe.

I've been through Ivan and Katrina, and did not come out unscathed.
My advice is to leave, get the hell out of Dodge and come back when the power comes back on.
But too many can't or refuse to, and I understand all too well.
I send my wife and kids North to stay with family, but I stay to clean up, rebuild and protect my property and the neighborhood.

Best of luck with everything Al,and others who are there. I would personally head for the hills but you gotta do what you gotta do....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky