Howdy!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TXN68

Original poster
Jan 7, 2019
Abilene, TX
I have been a member of this forum for a few months now and just now thought it would be a good idea to make my presence known.
I have been putting smoke and fire to meat since I was a teenager and always eat my mistakes.

I am an Oil & Gas grunt (14 on/14 off) and spend my off days consuming copious amounts of beer (kinda), and puttering around my yard whiling away the time and try to cook and or smoke something once a week if not sometimes more.

I grew up in west Texas, where it's usually hot, dry and dusty and the wood of choice is mesquite. Currently I reside in Houston, and now I deal with rain, heat and humidity and I'm not sure about the wood of choice. I prefer, pecan, oak and mesquite.

Welcome to SMF. Great forum. I love OAK on just about all of my smokes. Plentiful in South Mississippi and should be in the country, around Houston. I use hickory and pecan as well. You should be able to get pecan there. Maybe Hickory. Let us know what you find.

Thanks to all for the hearty welcome. I've read posts and advice from both indaswamp and Hawging, and appreciate the welcome from both of you, kruizer, thanks for the welcome also. I do like Minnesota and had the pleasure of spending some very bone chilling cold days a few years back, sampling beer in Min/St Paul. I do use oak frequently and pecan occasionally and still turn to mesquite in small portions, when I really want the strong flavoring. I'm in the beginning stages (read plans in my head) of converting a recently acquired large industrial storage cabinet into a combo cold/hot smoker. Posted on other builds looking for some input if anyone cares to comment. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/cabinet-smoker.286399/
Any comments or advice is greatly welcomed. Once again thanks kindly for the hearty welcome.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome.
I've mixed pecan and oak, but not often. Usually happens when I don't keep my wood separated and its in the dark of night and I've consumed a few...

Welcome to the forums, happy to have ya join the fun.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky