how to prepare fresh pork liver

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My mother was from Louisiana and forced us kids to eat beef liver. I hated it and hid it in my pockets and when she was not looking, I went to bathroom and flushed it. She caught me a few times but to this day I won't eat liver of ANY KIND. Guess I didn't cultivate a taste for it.

Foie Gras has to be the least liver tasting liver on the planet! It's more like eating firm hot Butter, that doesn't melt until you eat it. Only Fat contains more Fat than Foie Gras and the flavor is somewhat similar to Duck Breast...JJ

When I make braunschweiger I just clean the liver and remove the big veins and run under cold water then a light freeze and then grind. I use 2 pounds liver, and 3 pounds combined trimmed pork butt and bacon. I just make a judgement call on the amount of bacon depending on the perceived fat level. Mix on the bowl chopper, stuff, smoke, and finish in the SV. I used to use the nesco before getting a sous vide and was not paying attention to the poach and looked over and saw it boiling. All of the fat had separated out our and formed a ring around the meat.

IMG_1949.JPG

When I make braunschweiger I just clean the liver and remove the big veins and run under cold water then a light freeze and then grind. I use 2 pounds liver, and 3 pounds combined trimmed pork butt and bacon. I just make a judgement call on the amount of bacon depending on the perceived fat level. Mix on the bowl chopper, stuff, smoke, and finish in the SV. I used to use the nesco before getting a sous vide and was not paying attention to the poach and looked over and saw it boiling. All of the fat had separated out our and formed a ring around the meat.

View attachment 388645
Are those protein lined casing? How long do you smoke and SV it for? I just used the SV at 155 for 3.5 hours. I used a protein lined casing. It had some kind of a dark ring around the outside but the inside color was very similar to yours. I wasnt sure if I over cooked it. When I pulled the inst read thermometer out juice shot in the air like a geyser 12-18 inchs high. Good thing the wife wasnt home. The flavor came out ok not sure if Iam real happy with the texture. Next time Iam going to smoke it.

The casings are orange fibrous casings that came pre-tied on one end. I assume they are not protein lined and the orange color is the correct size for them and easy to pull them out of the freezer because it is the only thing i use the orange casings for. I would smoke for a few hours until around 130F and then finish in the water bath because if feel they are sensitive to higher temperatures (fat comes out of the emulsion). I then finish them to 155F and use a probe in SV to determine the end of the cook. I could do them in the smoker the entire time but the SV gave a much better finish and no overshoot. My formulation is somewhere between sliceable and spreadable. Sometimes I like to spread it on crackers and sometimes on rye bread with a good mustard, thick slice of onion, and swiss cheese. Back in Wisconsin we butchered our own pigs at my friends farm and most of the of the other guys didn't wan their livers so we had plenty.

My wife if from the Philippines and having access to the lungs and bones was all she needed to let me participate.
IMG_2724.JPG

Baboy, your Braunschweiger looks great! I was not a fan as a kid but I love the stuff now. My daughter's call it Poor Man's Pate...JJ

Thanks,

Hated beef liver as a kid, my parents would buy these big cream puffs from the German restaurant for desert and when we saw those in the refrigerator we knew what was coming up for dinner. Now I still can't eat them as their own meal but when made into a pate or a sausage I can eat them.

baboy I wish giving my wife some pig organs is all it took to make her happy and join me in sausage making LOL Ive seen some differnt post about using the SV to finish with. Did you put the Braunschweiger in a bag or just in the water bath. I did get some discolored water when cooking and am afraid if I poke a hole in the casing for the probe more will leak out. Is the greasy water bad for the pump on the SV? Could you finish smoked sausage with a bag in the SV?

Removing Veins is the worst part! I PI$$€D OFF an Exec. Chef I worked for one time. He made me Liver Boy for a month! Had to clean and portion 2 Calves Livers, twice a week PLUS, keep up with my regular station prep. The Veins started out the size of my thumb and just got smaller and smaller. You had to have nice looking slices so you could not just cut the Livers open to remove the Veins...JJ

How do you remove the veins from liver ????

Reactions: streetguy
Streetguy. I can't speak for all SV Circulators but the Anova just has an Impeller as opposed to a Pump, so no issues with any fat or small solids that may leak into the heated water...JJ

Reactions: streetguy
How do you remove the veins from liver ????

I used a thin, flexible boning knife to cut around the veins. It left some holes in the first slices but overall a higher yield than cutting along the veins. It was A LOT of tedious knife work...JJ

You might think about doing a video ????

Oh, BTW, I cooked up a 1# tub of chicken livers for me and the dog... soaked in milk, soy sauce and toasted sesame oil... Then baked in the oven... Damn good H'or'Douvres...

Dave, watch how much salt you are giving your dog.....

dogs are very sensitive to salt and are not use to the levels we humans consume in our food....(soy sauce-high in sodium)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky