How much do you pay for your butts?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've seen that too. From a safety standpoint it's true. If it was properly packaged/frozen, it is safe to eat indefinitely.

But, the quality suffers over time. Our butcher always told us 6 months for pork, 12 for beef should be the guideline for texture/quality. He also used a commercial vacuum sealer. I can attest to the beef being good for at least 1.5 years, but never had any last longer than that. Not sure why pork would be less time either.

Does it matter if chain grocers have the 12% solution added to the butts or ribs for that matter? I always try to use Costco or Sams as they don't process their meat. There always seems to be good deals at Kroger or Food Lion but I read here I think to stay away from the solution enhanced pork? I'm heading to Sam's tomorrow so hopefully the price quoted on pg 2 is nation wide.

Just filled the freezer, and it included two twin packs of Pork shoulder Roast (considered butts locally) for .79 per pound.
9649d5cf_vbattach20495.jpg

I seem to have read somewhere that case price through Sysco is like 80 cents or so. I am going to see if our local Aramark guy will order me a case. I bought 6 at the last $1.00/lb. sale, and am down to two already.
icon_sad.gif

Just found a tiny mom and pop butcher near me... ordered two 7lb butts but they were 2.59/lb! I love to support the mom and pops but $1.00+ more than anyplace else? Don't know that I can swing that unless they're cutting up something special.

I'm more interested in quality over price. The biggest problem I have is choice, six is a lot to choose from here. Size can be another problem.
I like to freeze them with the rub on. By the time they thaw the rub has had time to penetrate, but thorough thawing is important.

Just picked up two 7 pounders from Krogers. Nice piece of meat for $.99 / lb!! Also grabbed two Chuck Roasts that where buy 1 get 1.

52F here today so it's "Fire up the GOSM" day. Got the 2 Chucks, 1 Italian Sausage Fattie (wraped in bacon and stuffed with Mozz., Parm, Romano, Peperoni, Banana peppers, pizza sauce), plus 4 breakfast plain jane fatties with Rub, one I slathered with Gouldins Mustard.

QVIEW comming.

Swmo I was concerned about but I found if ya go in around 8am they have cases of the stuff in the back. Told them what size I wanted and they brought out about 10 I bought 5 of them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky