how many butts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ga.rick

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
hi folks,

got a question,my son in law and a few guys are going to be smoking boston butts for

a boy scout fundraiser. all have smoking experience but not on this level. they are going to shoot

for making 300 hundred plates. about how many 8 to 9 lb. butts do they need to do this?

one fellow told they probally will need 40 to 50 ounces per plate. does this spound about right?

any info is appreciated .

thanks in advance.    good smokin

hi folks,

got a question,my son in law and a few guys are going to be smoking boston butts for

a boy scout fundraiser. all have smoking experience but not on this level. they are going to shoot

for making 300 hundred plates. about how many 8 to 9 lb. butts do they need to do this?

one fellow told they probally will need 40 to 50 ounces per plate. does this spound about right?

any info is appreciated .

thanks in advance.    good smokin
I think he meant 4 to 5 ounces per plate which is about right, 1/4 to 1/3 pound per plate.

Post #2 of this thread should explain it:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/108753/how-much-pork

4-5 oz per plate is more like it if you are giving  one sandwich per plate

you are going to get around 5# give or take finished pulled pork  out of an 8-9# butt

maybe a little more if you are going to add finishing sauce to the pork. Which is highly recommended.

Based on 6oz per person and 50% yield for 300 people. You will need 225# to start with.

Based on 5oz per person and 50% yield for 300 people. You will need 190# to start with.

Based on 4oz per person and 50% yield for 300 people . You will need 150# to start with.

Are you going to be platting these or will they be serving them selves?

How many sides?
Any other meats?
What is the age range?
Male or female mostly?

There are a lot of factors that go into what direction to advise you on. I usually lean towards the conservative side. I don't want to break rule #2 of catering. Don't run out!

my bad it is 4  to 5 ounces thanks so much for info !

Here is a good formula for you to use based on my catering experience -Loss is 40% with cooking loss and fat trim.

4 oz X 300 servings = 1200 oz % 16 oz = 75 lbs needed

125 lb X .6 = 75 # 

You can adjust the formula based on serving size 

I would go with Scarbelly's Formula

I would be even more conservative and figure on a 50 percent yield.

If for some reason you end up with some picnics, figure on a 40 percent yield.

Biggest function I done was for 80 folks.

My yields seem to hold in the 55-60% range, not to say you get some flyers either way every now and then. My clients lean toward  the 5oz portion size with the slaw on the top. Works for me and makes the sandwich look huge. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky