How long will ground jerky mixture last in fridge

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Skobi

Original poster
Jan 28, 2019
Hi guys I am new to the forum, but I need help. I tried searching for the answer to my question before posting but I had no luck. I mixed up a batch of ground venison jerky yesterday the package says to let it sit in the fridge 12 hours so this morning I grabbed my jerky gun to start making my strips, and the gun was broken. I ordered a new one on Amazon but it won't be here until Thursday, so my question is will the mixture last in the fridge until the new jerky gun gets here or will it spoil by then?

Reactions: SonnyE
Yes cure was included in the seasoning packet and it is all mixed up and ready to dehydrate.

I actually tried that before posting but it didn't work. The mixture is so sticky it was all over the place. If I had some plastic wrap it probably would have went a lot better, but my vehicle is broke down so I can't go get any. Still a great option though, thanks.

I actually tried that before posting but it didn't work. The mixture is so sticky it was all over the place. If I had some plastic wrap it probably would have went a lot better, but my vehicle is broke down so I can't go get any. Still a great option though, thanks.

Mix a little water with it, makes it less sticky and easier to work with

Reactions: Skobi
Hi Skobi.
Welcome to
small-logo.png

Yep, I've used a gun, and pressed it out, and done the roll and pizza cutter route.
All work great.
Don't forget, you can roll it out, then use cookie cutters.

Then I decided I liked whole meat Jerky best. So I got away from ground meat Jerky.
Now I use Pork Loin, but a Beef jerky recipe.
I haven't made any for a month or so now. I had a problem...
I'd make a pound, then sit and eat it.
All of it.
So I'm rationing myself. :emoji_laughing:

A baggie slit on each edge worked good for me when rolling. And a ring made out of 1/4" thick rod.
I called them Jerky Cookies.
One sandwich baggie worked for an entire dehydrator full. :emoji_wink:

Lol I am ok with eating it all, I tell myself it's healthy since it's deer. I prefer the whole meat as well, but ground is what I had so I went with it. Thanks for the cookie cutter tip, that could be great fun for the kiddos they will eat anything that's shaped like something else.

Now baggies are something I always have so I will try that tomorrow, thanks.

Now baggies are something I always have so I will try that tomorrow, thanks.

Yep. And heck yes the kids love to help.
Better than Play Doh, you get to eat it when it's done.

Lay a baggie on the counter. Slit each side so it can open like a book at the bottom.
Put a golf ball sized ball of meat in between the two sides. And squish.
With a small amount of trial and error, you'll have it right.
And the baggie keeps the meat from gooing up your hands.

There is a drawback though...
You might be out of ground meat when your new Jerky gun arrives. :emoji_sob:

Lol it's ok the hubby got 68lbs of deer burger this past season, I'll just mix up some more. Thanks so much for all the help.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky