How long to soak after curing for 14 days?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GrumpyGriller

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 29, 2021
Hello again!

My belly will be done curing on Wednesday (14 days). I was planning on dumping the cure, and refilling the container with water and soaking for about one (1) hour. Does that seem like enough time, or should I go longer?

This is still my first attempt, so since I patiently waited for the cure, I don't want to screw it up at now :emoji_alien:!
1615295807987.png
Thanks!

I would take it out of brine, rinse it good slice a piece off and fry it up and go from there, if it to salty then soak it for an hour and repeat fry test. Soak it again if still salty. Ya might find you dont need to soak it all.
Simple common sense - thanks :emoji_grinning:!

I would take it out of brine, rinse it good slice a piece off and fry it up and go from there, if it to salty then soak it for an hour and repeat fry test. Soak it again if still salty. Ya might find you dont need to soak it all.

^^^^^Yeah, That^^^^^

Jim has you covered!!

Bear

Reactions: GrumpyGriller
When I cure bacon (also 14 days) I always add black pepper along with my curing mixture and some slabs will get garlic powder. I rinse and lightly rub a gloved hand over the surface (not all the pepper will rinse off) then soak it for about an hour with two water changes. The first change the water is slightly cloudy indicating that not all of the curing mixture rinsed off.

When I cure bacon (also 14 days) I always add black pepper along with my curing mixture and some slabs will get garlic powder. I rinse and lightly rub a gloved hand over the surface (not all the pepper will rinse off) then soak it for about an hour with two water changes. The first change the water is slightly cloudy indicating that not all of the curing mixture rinsed off.
Thanks - I kept it very simple this first go-round and just used Pop's Cure. I was planning on doing various rubs/spices before smoking each of the cut pieces, but we'll see how it goes. I'll report back later this week after I do a test fry :)

Thanks - I kept it very simple this first go-round and just used Pop's Cure. I was planning on doing various rubs/spices before smoking each of the cut pieces, but we'll see how it goes. I'll report back later this week after I do a test fry :)

That's good---Putting things like CBP, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, etc on after curing, but before Smoking works Best, because it will stick through the smoking period, instead of washing off during the curing process.

Bear

I started a separate thread - my apologies for the initial dupes.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky