How long should fresh wood sit b4 using in smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoker85bears

Original poster
Apr 28, 2010
Omaha
My friend and i just cut down an apple tree and i was wondering how long does it need to sit or even if it has to sit at all before using the wood for smoking some meat

Hey Cheezee,
The trees around the Perkiomen Creek & the Green Lane Reservoir might take longer to dry.
icon_cool.gif

Bearcarver

At least 6 months. The wood should be cut to length, split and stacked so that there is good ventilation around the wood (don't pack it tight when you stack it). Make sure to cover the wood with a good water proof tarp before it storms. Some folks will just cut the wood to lenght and for go the splitting until the wood is dry but doing it that way will take longer for the wood to dry.

A good indicator to tell you that the wood has been seasoned enough is the cut ends of the wood will show signs of checking (cracks and visible splits)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky