how hot is hot honey supposed to be?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
being a hard headed redneck and attempting to make my own. I've never bought store-bought rubs, so trying the honey thing myself from google searching. Also never tasted it from the store.

funnel sieve.jpg

honey crop.jpg

Well the sweet will give you some room to play with it, I have some mikes in the kitchen that's border line to me, Tabasco made a great 1 but stopped making it. Good thing about it don't go crazy with it add a little mix and taste but clear your mouth with something between tastings, once you get it to a certain point you won't taste any heat if your already overloaded lol

Reactions: JLeonard
being a hard headed redneck and attempting to make my own. I've never bought store-bought rubs, so trying the honey thing myself from google searching. Also never tasted it from the store.

View attachment 689613

View attachment 689614
what is your method of making it? I have had Mikes' hot honey...meh, no heat.

Got a bottle of jcam222 jcam222 first batch of ghost pepper honey, it had great back end heat. I have a bottle of his second gen with both front and back end heat, can't wait to try it.

Reactions: jaxgatorz
Entirely depends on what you're looking for and your heat tolerance. I made some over Christmas for some family that doesn't tolerate heat at all. It was basically sweet with a bit of a kick. If it was for me if go hotter but it's still nice.

I usually just simmer it with sliced Serranos or jalapeno, but mine is definitely only "white boy spicy" .

Depends on what you want to put it on too.

• Haha
Reactions: clifish and jcam222
what is your method of making it? I have had Mikes' hot honey...meh, no heat.

Got a bottle of jcam222 jcam222 first batch of ghost pepper honey, it had great back end heat. I have a bottle of his second gen with both front and back end heat, can't wait to try it.
The main google consensus was to pour honey in pan, add 2-3 TBLs of crushed red chili pepper.
bring to just before boil. strain back into bottle. several recipe's add a TSP of vinegar or some mamby pamby sauce like Franks. So I did it as prescibed and waited for it to cool enough to pour through the above funnel and not melt the plastic honey bottle. I left all the pepper hulls in the funnel just in case. Tasted... not much heat. dumped whole shenanigans back in pan, incluing the peppers and repeated process. I'm ok with final result, but next time might acquire a more "scovilly" capable pepper and dose it up. I really have no need for regular hot honey except for pizza or breakfast biscuits. thanks for all your input.

Reactions: jcam222
The main google consensus was to pour honey in pan, add 2-3 TBLs of crushed red chili pepper.
bring to just before boil. strain back into bottle. several recipe's add a TSP of vinegar or some mamby pamby sauce like Franks. So I did it as prescibed and waited for it to cool enough to pour through the above funnel and not melt the plastic honey bottle. I left all the pepper hulls in the funnel just in case. Tasted... not much heat. dumped whole shenanigans back in pan, incluing the peppers and repeated process. I'm ok with final result, but next time might acquire a more "scovilly" capable pepper and dose it up. I really have no need for regular hot honey except for pizza or breakfast biscuits. thanks for all your input.
I want to try making this at some point. I am going to put the honey in a sealed mason jar with various hot/ghost peppers that where crushed to release the oils (pepper mix yet to be determined). Then maybe some ACV to taste, drop in the sous vide at about 120 deg for 3-4 hours to steep.

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky