Hot Bacon Two Ways

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
I cut a full fresh side in half about 14 days ago. Put them down in cure, one with a celery powder in place of cure 1 then the other was my normal cure of 1.5% salt, .25% cure 1 and .5% sugar with garlic and black pepper for aromatics.

The bottom one is the celery cure.

IMG_1743.jpeg

Here is a cut shot of the celery.

IMG_1744.jpeg

Here is a fry shot, the long pieces top of the pan are celery the little pieces are standard cure.

IMG_1742.jpeg

The celery is good, but the boys and I prefer the regular cure while the wife prefers the celery cure. They are both good but to me cure #1 is still king.

The color seemed nicer on the cure1 slab, but in the frying pan shot, they didn't look all that different.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
The color seemed nicer on the cure1 slab, but in the frying pan shot, they didn't look all that different.
Color development was close to same, but the celery has a slight different flavor, more “mild” maybe. The flavor of the cure 1 is more pronounced than I ever imagined, it brings its own game flavor wise. I prefer the cured flavor of #1 but the celery works just fine for sure.

Reactions: JLeonard
I was referring to the overall color of the whole slabs after smoking. There isn't much difference in the cut shots.

I cut a full fresh side in half about 14 days ago. Put them down in cure, one with a celery powder in place of cure 1 then the other was my normal cure of 1.5% salt, .25% cure 1 and .5% sugar with garlic and black pepper for aromatics.

The bottom one is the celery cure.

View attachment 679568
Here is a cut shot of the celery.

View attachment 679569
Here is a fry shot, the long pieces top of the pan are celery the little pieces are standard cure.

View attachment 679570

The celery is good, but the boys and I prefer the regular cure while the wife prefers the celery cure. They are both good but to me cure #1 is still king.
I agree with you... Regular cure is the best for sure. I love nitrites.

Great side by side.
I've never tried an "un-cured" product that uses cultured celery product.
Interesting that you discovered it has a milder flavor. Maybe that justifies calling it un-cured?
I may be a bit cynical with that comment.
Same here. Seems like I'm seeing more and more meat products in the store that say "un-cured", when we all know it still is.

Great side by side.
I've never tried an "un-cured" product that uses cultured celery product.
Interesting that you discovered it has a milder flavor. Maybe that justifies calling it un-cured?
I may be a bit cynical with that comment.
The justification of calling it “uncured” is FSIS law which state only products that have in the ingredients list sodium nitrate or sodium nitrite can be labeled as “cured” they don’t recognize the nitrites in vegetables made into powder because they don’t add sodium nitrate or nitrite.

Sodium nitrite to me has a savor flavor that is almost creamy on the back end. I’ve thought that for years but doing this side x side the flavor is definitely there and not in the celery product. It’s delicious, just not as good as ‘ole cure 1 flavor wise.

Looks good and thanks for the review. I got too much cure #1 to change right now.

Jim
Thanks Jim. Yeah I wouldn’t run out and buy the celery, it’s much more expensive and the final flavor in the bacon is just missing something. I’ll stick with ‘old #1 myself. I threw a bag of the celery in with an order just cuz I wanted to try it. I’ve had it over a year and thought I’d better try it. I can’t know until you do, and I’m over it.

Looks great in the pan, and thanks for the comparison of the two ways

David
Thanks David. It was a fun experiment I like trying new things once in awhile.

Well. Except for a certain group...................
Same group that took our paper bags away at the grocery store because we were cutting down to many trees for paper then made us use plastic bags because they were recycled materials, now they have taken those away here because we are destroying the planet with plastic bags. It never ends for some folks.

Same group that took our paper bags away at the grocery store because we were cutting down to many trees for paper then made us use plastic bags because they were recycled materials, now they have taken those away here because we are destroying the planet with plastic bags. It never ends for some folks.
Little town my girl lives in has outlawed plastic bags. Dollar Genera and Wal Mart still still use plastic.

I asked the Dollar General lady if they got a fine or anything, nope. They don't recognize the law. Every other business uses paper bags besides Wal Mart.

The Wal Mart there uses these super heavy duty bags as a get around. These things are like 4-5 mil thick plasticoid. Supposedly cost 15x what a normal plastic bag costs. Looks like plastic and fells like plastic, but supposedly legal.

Does the flavor of celery come though anywhere? Assuming not as I've had "uncured' commercial products and couldn't taste it.
Maybe just a skosh of celery but certainly not a prevalent flavor. Is good just tastes “flat” in terms of cure.

The justification of calling it “uncured” is FSIS law which state only products that have in the ingredients list sodium nitrate or sodium nitrite can be labeled as “cured” they don’t recognize the nitrites in vegetables made into powder because they don’t add sodium nitrate or nitrite.

Sodium nitrite to me has a savor flavor that is almost creamy on the back end. I’ve thought that for years but doing this side x side the flavor is definitely there and not in the celery product. It’s delicious, just not as good as ‘ole cure 1 flavor wise.
Thanks you gave the story I know, but didn't elaborate.
FSIS regs state sodium nitrate or nitrite as an in ingredient to label as "cured" to prevent products only using salt to state cured.
Then the 70's roll around and we learn of the nitrate (nitrite) and nitrosamine connection and cured meat got a real bad rap by the media.

Amazing how well intended regulations get turned around in newer days by the deception of using naturally occurring nitrates in vegetables.

Thanks you gave the story I know, but didn't elaborate.
FSIS regs state sodium nitrate or nitrite as an in ingredient to label as "cured" to prevent products only using salt to state cured.
Then the 70's roll around and we learn of the nitrate (nitrite) and nitrosamine connection and cured meat got a real bad rap by the media.

Amazing how well intended regulations get turned around in newer days by the deception of using naturally occurring nitrates in vegetables.
It’s crazy. Nitrates are nitrates. They are indistinguishable from a scientific point of view. The molecular structure of sodium nitrate, NO3, is exactly the same as nitrate from beets or spinach or celery. It’s the same composition both ways, but a spinach salad is good for you and a bologna sandwich will kill you. Just nuts.

Reactions: DougE
Nice work Eric, both slabs look great. However I will say the slab done with the celery cure looks like chicken skin to me.

Point(s) for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky