Homemade low sodium bacon?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kentucky fisherman

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
Louisville, KY
One of my best and longest friends has some kidney/liver damage from eating too much "Ranger candy" in his 20+ years in the Army. He's now on an extremely low sodium diet. I think one strip of bacon probably has 3 days worth of sodium for him. Anyway, I got to wondering if anyone has figured out a way to make extremely low sodium bacon. I've not yet messed with fresh pork belly, but could you smoke it, slice it and then fry it like bacon, without curing it? I have a feeling the cure, salt and brown sugar are part of why bacon tastes like bacon, but I could be wrong. Can someone help me with my pork belly idea? Thanks!

Yes your right. The curing process is whats going to make it taste like bacon! pops6927 pops6927 posted this ...check it out. He's going to be one of the most knowledgeable guys here as far as the curing goes ,he's got a long history of that stuff. He also is in the same type of situation as your friend needing to stick to a strict low sodium diet. Hopefully this helps you out.

Reactions: udaman
Yes, that can be used with regular belly bacon as well, but the low fat of Canadian bacon is an added plus to control fats, sugars and salts in (my) diet, as well as his!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky