Home made salmon cakes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jim Fitzgerald

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 13, 2018
I used stuffing mix original flavor, old bay and salmon, cooked my stuffing and shredded the salmon, I let the stuffing mix so I didn't burn my hands when making the patties, I used apple wood chips and smoked them for about 5o min until the internal temp was 145, I should of pulled them a bit sooner, but hey for the first try they were darn good, and I like the crispiness of the outside.

Attachments

• 34143589_10214720877568325_5729728183817732096_o.jpg
    34143589_10214720877568325_5729728183817732096_o.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 40
These look good to me! What temp did you smoke at?
I smoked them at about 130 to 145, I keep adjusting it didn't want to dry them out, I should of pulled them out sooner but I like the crunch it gave them on the out side. first try at these so next time I will monitor the temp closer and not leave them in as long. they were still out of this world. you could taste the salmon real well but not over powering like some salmon cakes I have had in the past.

I've been making Salmon patties for a few years now, but found that smoking them was overwhelming with smoke flavor so now I just grill them and yum!! For us who do a lot of Salmon fishing, making these patties with bone scraping meat and other small odd Salmon pieces is a way to use the small chunks that most people would normally just toss after they get done processing their daily catch. I will say, maybe controlling the amount of smoke might be worth another go at it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Fitzgerald
These sound like a great idea to me for using salmon. My buddy fishes the big lake quite often and I get a few fish every month during the summer. Always looking for something different to make with them. I like the stuffing mix idea and then grilling on the Weber. Some crunch without the overwhelming smoke.

I've been making Salmon patties for a few years now, but found that smoking them was overwhelming with smoke flavor so now I just grill them and yum!! For us who do a lot of Salmon fishing, making these patties with bone scraping meat and other small odd Salmon pieces is a way to use the small chunks that most people would normally just toss after they get done processing their daily catch. I will say, maybe controlling the amount of smoke might be worth another go at it.
I didn't use a lot of wood so there wasn't a lot of smoke, depending on the type of smoker you have you can adjust the amount of smoke by adding more wood or less wood, I used a very little bit of wood and didn't have smoke on them the whole time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky