Holding a temp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jayno

Original poster
Dec 10, 2019
My apologies if this in in the wrong spot. I have a Camp Chef Pellet Gril, the DXL model.

I started a pork butt roast last night and it has gotten done a bit faster than I expected. It’s supposed to be ready by about 6:30 (central time) tonight and it’s very near the 205 pull point now. My question is then can I leave it in the smoker on a lower temp (I have a Lo Smoke 160 setting) for a few hours with no adverse affects?

I know I want to let it rest, but that’s max four hours and I have about 7 hours until we are eating.

Thanks in advance!

You could wrap it nice and tight and put it in a cooler packed with towels. That’s good for at least a couple hours. You could also likely hold it in the grill or oven around 170F based on a post I read earlier.

Agree with jcam...you can double wrap it nice and tight in foil, then put it in a cooler with some towels around it. It's been my experience that you can hold it like this for several hours and it'll still be too hot to handle it with your bare hands.

Red

For those curious, I had 30 lbs of pork butt. Double wrapped each roast in foil after they were done and packed towels around them in a Yeti cooler. Let them rest for six hours and when I took it out and poked a thermometer in it, they were still at 155 and were too hot to handle with thin rubber gloves on.

EDIT: And they were phenomenal, not mushy and I got a lot of compliments on them.

Reactions: jcam222
For those curious, I had 30 lbs of pork butt. Double wrapped each roast in foil after they were done and packed towels around them in a Yeti cooler. Let them rest for six hours and when I took it out and poked a thermometer in it, they were still at 155 and were too hot to handle with thin rubber gloves on.

EDIT: And they were phenomenal, not mushy and I got a lot of compliments on them.

Nice!! Always good to hear the compliments about our Que...sounds like it turned out great!

Red

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky