Smoked Pork Loin Epic Fail!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ldleehou

Original poster
Aug 6, 2023
I have not had a lot of success smoking meats. Last night is a good example of my frustration.

Tried to smoke a pork loin yesterday. Weighed around 2-1/2 pounds. Brined for 12 hours. Then, mustard binder with pork rub. Set pellet smoker at 225. Took a little over three hours to get to 145F internal temp measured with both grill probe and instant read meat thermometer. Surprised me, as I expected it to take about 1.5 hours. Rested for twenty minutes. Result was tough without much flavor. Had to use steak knife to cut. Only positive, it was moist. Freezing remaining 1-1/4 pounds to use in stew.

Looking for any insight or suggestions. Thanks.

I have not had a lot of success smoking meats. Last night is a good example of my frustration.

Tried to smoke a pork loin yesterday. Weighed around 2-1/2 pounds. Brined for 12 hours. Then, mustard binder with pork rub. Set pellet smoker at 225. Took a little over three hours to get to 145F internal temp measured with both grill probe and instant read meat thermometer. Surprised me, as I expected it to take about 1.5 hours. Rested for twenty minutes. Result was tough without much flavor. Had to use steak knife to cut. Only positive, it was moist. Freezing remaining 1-1/4 pounds to use in stew.

Looking for any insight or suggestions. Thanks.

My first suggestion is to try smoking a pork shoulder (butt). They take a long time but are more forgiving than a loin. Loins have very little fat and get tough and dry out easily.

If you want to really go basic, just unwrap the shoulder and put it right in the smoker. No seasoning. Just heat and smoke. Pull the meat at around 200 F and shred it. Give it a taste and then decide how you want to season it from there.

I wish you success!

JC :emoji_cat:

Agree with JC, loins are hit or miss with being tender, try a pork butt they have a lot more flavor and as JC said more forgiving butt if you do another loin maybe pull it at 140.

They have you covered above ^^^^

Try other meats first and I love doing pork loins for a few different things ,
but like said mostly a dry meat unless you treat it or add a moistener to the smoke / cook.

I love Back Bacon ( Canadian Bacon for USA ) or stuffed and or rolled loins.

David

Just an idea what I meant by rolled loins

5.JPG 16.JPG

Apple rolled pork loin, stayed very moist , just an idea. Can be filled with many different combos

David

Attachments

• 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 11
Unless you inject. The loin itself doesn't have a lot of interior flavor. Most of the flavor comes from the rub used and the saucing. Since you took it 145* then the carry-over will overcook the loin. You probably didn't see much because you cooked it at 225* but it's still there. Next time try pulling the loin at 135 to 138* and let it rest on your counter covered in aluminum foil. The carry over will bring the internal temp up to 140ish degrees. I prefer tenderloins over loins especially with a good dipping sauce. Apple cider cinnamon is my favorite. I'm glad it was still juicy and having to use a knife isn't all that bad a thing.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky