Pork Loin Ham-ish Not Quite Jerky - OMG!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
I've been lazy making my own jerky, but after turning a top round roast into jerky recently, I went thru it in record time. Beef was too expensive at the store, but whole pork loin was on sale. Time to make some pork jerky...or so I thought.

I cut the 8.54 lb boneless loin into 3/4" to 1" chops. Vac-sealed and froze some. Dry brined 8 for a few night's dinners, and used a semi-wet brine on the remainder (3.86 lbs) to make jerky using Yoshida sauce in my semi-wet cure/brine.

Cured for 3 days. Sliced into 1/2" strips. 195°F oven. When I checked them at 3 hours...OMG! The texture was tender inside and firm outside. The Yoshida sauce was a background flavor that worked perfectly with the cure. My wife doesn't eat ham (too salty) or jerky (too difficult to chew), but THIS she loved. Oops.

Here's my cure/brine.
Prague Powder #1: 1.2 grams per pound of meat.
Sodium Erythorbate: .3 grams per pound of meat.
Adolph's or McCormick Tenderizer: 4.4 grams per pound of meat.
Yoshida Sauce: 25 grams per pound of meat.
Water: 60 grams per pound of meat.

Mix all the above in a large measuring cup. Stir to dissolve (no need to warm or cook)
Place meat strips in a Ziplock bag. Place that in another Ziplock bag (insurance against leaks), then add the cure/brine.

Squeeze out the air fron both bags. Massage the meat to distribute the cure. Place the double bagged meat in a container and place in the refrigerator for 2-4 days. Massage and flip every 12 hours.

Smoke or cook as described above.

Allow to cool completely, then keep refrigerated.

Happy Ham-ish Jerky!

Ray

20231010_124739.jpg

20231013_151413.jpg

I've never seen any jerky cut that way. Interesting
Did you cut the strips with the grain?

Reactions: noboundaries
I've never seen any jerky cut that way. Interesting
Did you cut the strips with the grain?
Honestly, I have no idea. I could not see ANY grain white cutting the strips from the chops, but once semi-dried, I could see the grain and I did cut across it.

As far as cutting jerky like that (thick), I've been moving thicker for a while. That 1/2" strip is giving me chewy, tender results. BUT, it is not as dry as most jerky, so I put a paper towel in the bag and refrigerate it. It keeps for weeks.

Looks and sounds great! I love pork loin for jerky.

And now I do, too, Jeff!

Thanks for the link, Keith!

Looks great Ray
I’ve been eying pork loins a lot too
Hard to find any cheap beef under $5/# these days
Thanks! And the cheapest beef I saw the other day was too fatty for jerky. The lean stuff was north of $6/lb. Pork loin to the rescue!

now there is a jerky I could sink my teeth into, I like a softer kind of Jerky and this fits that bill.

David
Thanks, David. When I checked it at 3 hours, my intention was to go another 2-3 hours, but a little voice said try a small piece. Man, I'm glad I did.

Looks great! That's how I cut my Asian style jerky. Nice and thick. I do mine at 195 in the oven until it get to 140 IT. Then turn down to 170 to finish.
Thanks, Steve. I checked my jerky log and believe this might have been the first time I've tried it with pork loin (I often forget to log or reuse a spreadsheet tab). It never quite made it to jerky, but I will be using pork loin again.

Ray

Looks fantastic Ray, and it sounds simple enough for me to give it a whirl.

Thanks - Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: noboundaries
Looks great Ray! Bear turned me to some of that good stuff a few years ago and it’s real tasty! Nice job on that!
Great to hear, Justin. Thanks.

This one's for you, Bear. Thanks for the whisper cast in my ear from your eternal stream while I was shopping the other day.

Ray

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky