Hi from West Florida (Wesley Chapel)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

anothermike

Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Wesley Chapel, FL
hi - good to be here.

I'm a noob to the smoking world - but I like to eat and play with fire so it really wasn't much of a leap to join them together!!

Brought up in England were there was much of a smoking/bbq culture. Moved to NH in 2000 and quickly got

proficient with a gas grill – to the point were of all my friends and family going back to England and buying one after trying mine out!

Now in Florida and whilst I wanted a smoker for a while I finally moved out of a temporary apartment and into a house that already has an outside bar and grill.  So for xmas the wife got me a smoker! (I did tell her exactly what I wanted).

I’m now the owner of a Brinkman Trailmaster Limited Edition.

After spending a bit of time on here I’ve built it, seasoned it and run a few test cooks. Salmon and veg to start (went fine), a couple of Boston butts, drumsticks and sausages (butts – ok after I pulled them from the smoker and finished them in the oven – temp had dropped overnight and I had visitors arriving, drumsticks ok – sausages magnificent) .

Did a couple of whole chickens last weekend – after finding a spice stand at the local market on Saturday! Nom nom! A the masterpiece – bonless leg of lamb rubbed down with double garlic olive oil, and with sage and onion stuffing in the middle. Added citrus salt to the outside like a rub.

Only downside is that I had to finish the lamb in the oven again as I couldn’t get the temp right.

OK – so I could have asked why – but instead I’ve spent time researching and I’m certain that it’s the ash smothering the charcoal on a longer cook – I need to sort that out with the use of a charcoal basket and making sure I dispose of the ash more regularly.

I know, I know – no pics and it didn’t happen – but the above are just early experiments until I get a grip of it. But after seeing the smoke ring I laid down on that lamb – I may have to buy a better camera to share the results.

Anyway – off for now – have to build a charcoal basket and dream up a reason to cook this weekend…. Maybe just because it’s the weekend!!!

Mike

Hi Mike! 
welcome1.gif
to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! You've come to the right place, we have over 40,000 members and over 800,000 posts so you should be able to find almost anything you want to know. Remember the search bar at the top can be your best friend for finding answers fast!

You might want to check out Jeff's Free 5 day E-course it will teach you all the basics and a whole lot more!

If you have any questions about the forums or need any help navigating around don’t hesitate to ask or send me a PM, I am more than happy to help out!

Hi Mike!  We are so glad you found us!  Wish you had some pics of that lamb!  Would have made all of us drool!
drool.gif

You will find that there are a lot of really great folks here! Every weekend...is a good reason to smoke foods!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky