Help with Turducken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

okcvet

Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
I've never had a Turducken, so smoking one is going to be a challenge. That's what my girlfriend wants for Thanksgiving, so I am going to give it a try. Any ideas, suggestions or maybe even a prayer would help.

Bone out the 3 birds... brine and cure them using cure #1 individually... smoking and cooking them takes too long to not use cure #1.... Be very sanitary.. clean all the surfaces thoroughly... Cook thoroughly to an IT of 170 ish and hold at that temp for 30 minutes would be my uneducated guess, to thoroughly kill all food borne pathogens...
I would use a small chicken or game hen, small duck and a small turkey (12 ish #'s)...
You could smoke then finish in the oven... I would lean toward that....

Man,that's gonna be one Looong cook since they're normally fried! I'd definitely follow Dave's wise (as always)recommendations. "Ya don't get to be old bein' no fool" (Richard Pryor) :D

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky