Help with a smoked turkey breast?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If I decide I want to brine this bone in turkey breast for 24hours or longer. Do I need to use cure #1?

Can Morton Tender Quick cure be used?

I've read a bunch of different ways on here & other places, I bit lost now.

Lol next will be finding something I can brine it in, to keep it submerged under the brine.

Thanks. Much appreciated.
1715929875519.jpeg

Is it already brined at the processing plant? A lot are.

I suggest starting here, before proceeding to brine.

It appears to be brined already.
Turkey Breast, Turkey broth, salt, sugar, natural flavor.

Last edited:
There are quite a few good recipes on site for brining a turkey breast, but chopsaw chopsaw Rich's comes to mind first. His posts always look good.

One note I'll mention. If you use cure #1 in your brine. I think you'll get a hammy taste in the turkey. So be prepared for it. I may be wrong, but I seem to remember reading about it at some point.

Chris

Reactions: DieselTech
I'm looking for some help, cause I don't want to poison anyone
Sounds like you do not have a thermometer. Takes all the worry and guess work out. Get you a $10 instant read on Amazon. Think I've given like 6 now as gifts for Christmas.

It appears to be brined already.
Turkey Breast, Turkey broth, salt, sugar, natural flavor.
Wife is gung ho for Honeysuckle birds and while the label might say that, the brine strength is far from ideal. Doubt many would even notice.

I like my turkeys cured. See avatar. Very smoky and ham like. That said, too rich to eat as a meal IMO. Probably the best holiday appetizer there is though. I agree with the others, for a first run: Tony C it must be. Grab a bottle of from the store (or Amazon) with the injector. Keep the injector, can be reused a LONG time if you take care of it. Inject that bad boy and rub night before with Tony C or other cajun stuff. Smoke hot 300-350F to a IT of 160F and you will be happy. Good luck!

I have smoked a lot of Turkey Breasts. Few things I have learned (IMHO):
1- Brining, turkey breast really only needs to be brined for 4-6 hours.
2- Bone in should be smoked at a lower temp than boneless, this allows the marrow to release flavors from the bones into the meat. (I run bone in at 250, boneless at 280)
3- If you brine, select a rub with no/low salt
4- If you de-bone the breasts, wrap with butcher twine to get the meat to be as uniform in size as possible to allow for even cooking
5- I like to smoke skin on, but use a spoon to open a pocket under the skin for rub. I then remove the skin when I cut and serve.
6- Allow the turkey breast to rest for at least 10 minutes (20-30 is best)
7- Spritzing and basting are not necessary if you brine.

- Jason

Reactions: DieselTech
I answered that for you already . Several threads ago . You must have missed it .
Put your cart back on the right side of the horse .
Yeah I must of missed it or read over it. I did read your thread about the 2 turkey breast you did with the Pop's low sodium brine.

I'm not sure where or how I missed your post about morton tender quick.

I'm asking to be sure, but cure #1 is the pink curing salt?

Thanks.

I have smoked a lot of Turkey Breasts. Few things I have learned (IMHO):
1- Brining, turkey breast really only needs to be brined for 4-6 hours.
2- Bone in should be smoked at a lower temp than boneless, this allows the marrow to release flavors from the bones into the meat. (I run bone in at 250, boneless at 280)
3- If you brine, select a rub with no/low salt
4- If you de-bone the breasts, wrap with butcher twine to get the meat to be as uniform in size as possible to allow for even cooking
5- I like to smoke skin on, but use a spoon to open a pocket under the skin for rub. I then remove the skin when I cut and serve.
6- Allow the turkey breast to rest for at least 10 minutes (20-30 is best)
7- Spritzing and basting are not necessary if you brine.

- Jason
Thanks for the run down on how you smoke your turkey breast. The tip about smoking with bone in or bone out is good info, thanks for mentioning it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky