Help?! Smoking Wagyu Chuck Steak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

londonfog

Original poster
Apr 6, 2017
Hey guys!

I'm still somewhat a newbie to smoking so I'd appreciate any help. Couldn't find any info on this particular cut on the forums.

I wanted to smoke some beef short ribs today but the store was sold out of it. So, I came across a Wagyu Chuck Steak that seems to be marbled nicely! I thought id try and throw it on the smoker! I'm looking for that FALL APART texture.

I've never done a chuck steak before - just to be clear, this ISN'T chuck roast. It is cut as a regular flat steak. 

I know it's not really ideal to smoke a steak of this size, but does anybody have any suggestions? It's a 250g cut of marbled steak. I obviously don't want it to dry out. I was thinking of smoking for 1 hour unwrapped, then wrap for 1 hour or so wrapped with a bit of guinness beer in the foil to help keep it moist? Or is that too much?

What temperature/time do you guys think I should go for? THANKS in advance!

Here is the cut of steak:

Last edited:
Couldn't keep the smoker waiting so I went ahead and shoved it far side of the smoker at 200f unwrapped.... Going to see how it looks in an hour. 

Your plan would get you fall apart beef at 300°. Anything lower, may require more time. I have not had Wagyu but we grill chuck steaks frequently. Personally, l would put a little smoke on that then sear med/rare on a hot grill. That's pretty premium beef, looks like very tender Flat Iron steak, to cook till it falls apart...JJ

Last edited:
Reactions: londonfog
Your plan would get you fall apart beef at 300°. Anything lower, may require more time. I have not had Wagyu but we grill chuck steaks frequently. Personally, l would put a little smoke on that then sear med/rare on a hot grill. That's pretty premium beef, looks like very tender Flat Iron steak, to cook till it falls apart...JJ
Thanks for the advice man! Wow then im WAY below - been cooking it at 200f. Had some serious issues as I ran out of fire starters for the coal and had to go down to the store to get some - chamber temp went all the way down. 

Will bump up the temp and see how its doing!

Just giving an update: it's been a total of 2.5 hours. I wrapped the steak at the 1.5 hour mark and so it has been wrapped for an hour. It looks delicious but still not fall apart tender. 

Will report back with photos once done.

Sorry guys, only managing to post results now.. AND IT WAS PHENOMENAL!

WOW! Easily one of the bets things I have done so far! 

So, I smoked it for around 5 hours on 240f-300f. 

It just absolutely FELL APART - just what I was looking for, and was INSANELY juicy! Wow! I definitely recommend this and I will definitely throw more on the smoker for next time. 

Looks tasty,have you tried a chuck roast? If you want it to pull it anyways it maybe cheaper to do.

Reactions: londonfog
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky