Help for a Complete Noob Please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

janegael

Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
New Haven, CT
Good morning,

I just got my Masterbuilt 20070210 out of the box.  I don't even have the legs on it yet.  I thought I'd check online to find out what I need to try it out (besides meat, of course) and discovered that it's not as simple as picking up some wood chips.

Help!

Is there any place you can point me for the absolute beginner.  I haven't even grilled out very much.  I've always wanted a smoker and now I have to learn to use it.  I need Smoking Food for Dummys. 
439.gif

It would seem that buying the A-MAZE-N-PELLET-SMOKER is a good idea as a lot of people are posting about how hard it is to get smoke going and about the temperatures.

I want to smoke chicken, chicken legs, pork chops and roasts -- nothing fancy. 

And since it's going to be sitting unprotected on my deck, should I get the cover for it?  I don't know if it will rust or not and I'd like to keep it in good shape.

Thanks a lot,

Jane

Welcome.  You can start with just meat and some chips and your masterbuilt will work just fine.  As you get into this you will try lots of different rubs and sauces and marinades etc.  I would recommend an A-Maze-N smoker as it makes it easier and you don't have to refill with chips so often, but it's not necessary right off the bat.  I would take the time to read the instruction book that came with it and take the free course offered by this site and you will be off on your way to a new addiction.  Good Luck and Happy Smoking.

There is a lot of great info on this forum, just take some time and search for what you want. Also Jeff's website has great info too:

http://www.smoking-meat.com/

And Jeff's 5 day E-course will also help get you started:

http://www.smoking-meat.com/smoking-basics-ecourse.html

If you have any specific questions don't hesitate to ask, there are a lot of great people on here more than willing to help out.

Just a few months ago I really didn't know what I was doing but Thanks to SMF I have been pulling off some pretty successful smokes lately. 

Is there any place you can point me for the absolute beginner.  I haven't even grilled out very much.  I've always wanted a smoker and now I have to learn to use it.  I need Smoking Food for Dummys. 
439.gif

Look no further.... You are at the right place....

It would seem that buying the A-MAZE-N-PELLET-SMOKER is a good idea as a lot of people are posting about how hard it is to get smoke going and about the temperatures.

The AMNPS will be an excellent choice for an upgrade.... Light it and forget it for 10+ hours... perfect smoke....

And since it's going to be sitting unprotected on my deck, should I get the cover for it?  I don't know if it will rust or not and I'd like to keep it in good shape.

Yes... cover it to save the electronics and protect the finish.... temporarily you can use a plactic bag... I use one I picked up from a tire retailer... the bag they put your winter tires in to put them back in your car.... 

Thanks a lot,  You are welcome... Dave

Jane

Welcome to SMF...
welcome1.gif
...Looks like the others did a good job with the questions. When you start using woods for smoke. A couple things to keep in mind...Fruit woods are milder and somewhat sweet smelling. Cherry, apple and alder is good with fish as well as lemon and orange if you are in the south. Cherry and apple is available at Home Depot and apple wood is available at most hardware stores and home centers as well.

The stronger woods are hickory, oak, mesquite, I really like hickory and oak. Mesquite is also a nice smoke. All very easy to find at stores. I personally like to mix fruit woods with the stronger woods at the same smoke. Here is a complete list for you. Oh, you don't want to soak the wood chunks in water when used on a smoker. With minimum air flow they will smoke and smolder. If you are putting wood on a charcoal grill without restricted air flow, you may want to soak the wood to prevent the wood from burning up in two minutes. Here is a good list for you to look over.

grilling_smilie.gif

[h2]The following woods are great for smoking:[/h2]
  • Acacia - the same family as mesquite, though not as heavy. A very hot burning wood. Smoked color: yellow, lemon type
  • Alder - light flavor that works well with fish and poultry. Contains a hint of sweetness, good with poultry and light – meat game birds. Traditionally used for smoking salmon. Northwest.
  • Almond - a nutty, sweet flavor
  • Apple - mild, fruity flavor, slightly sweet. Good for poultry, pork. Northwest.
  • Apricot - mild, sweet flavor. Good on fish, poultry, pork
  • Birch - medium hard wood, flavor similar to maple. Good with poultry, pork,
  • Black Walnut - heavy flavor, can impart bitter taste if not monitored carefully
  • Cherry - mild, fruity. Good with poultry, pork, beef.
  • Citrus - lemon, grapefruit, orange, nectarine – light fruity flavor, good with fish, poultry, pork and beef.
  • Fruit trees - apple, cherry, apricot – sweet mild flavor
  • Hickory - strong flavor, good with beef and lamb. Smoked products develop reddish color. Southern regions.
  • Maple - like fruit, sweet flavor. Northeast.
  • Mulberry - sweet, similar to apple
  • Mesquite - very strong flavor, burns hot and fast. Good for hot short smoking, better for grilling.
  • Oak - probably best all around wood for meat smoking. Strong but not overpowering, good for sausages, beef or lamb. Smoked products develop light brown to brown color, depending on the length of smoking.
  • Peach - mild, sweet flavor. Good on fish, poultry, pork
  • Pear - light and sweet, smoked color dark – red. Excellent with poultry and pork.
  • Pecan - milder version of hickory. Burns cool. Southwest region.
  • Plum - mild, sweet flavor. Good on fish, poultry, pork
  • Walnut - heavy smoke flavor. Can impart bitter taste if not monitored. Good with red meats and game.

My advice is to pick one meat that you'd love to smoke, then do a forum search. There are lots of rub recipes and photos that people post as they're doing a smoke, and most everyone will give temps and times. That way you're not overwhelmed by all the great information found here. Focus on what you learn about one thing, and get smokin'! 

A smoked chicken is so easy and delicious! Throw it in- lots of times I don't even bother with a rub, or just sprinkle with whatever is in the cabinet. Someday I'll plan far enough ahead to brine one first, but even a plain, out-of-the-package bird is moist and awesome, a great first smoke. 

Congrats on your new smoker, and Have Fun!

Good morning,

I just got my Masterbuilt 20070210 out of the box.  I don't even have the legs on it yet.  I thought I'd check online to find out what I need to try it out (besides meat, of course) and discovered that it's not as simple as picking up some wood chips. congrats on your new smoker

Help!

439.gif
 Look no further SMF is the best book on smoking meats around, and the folks here are more then willing to help. 

Yes it is a very good add on to have, but you can pull off good smokes with out one, It's just a bit easier with the AMNPS. Read your instruction book that cam with your smoker and you will find info on the amount of chips too use, and there may even be a section on types of wood. 

I want to smoke chicken, chicken legs, pork chops and roasts -- nothing fancy. I suggest you pick one meat to start out with and get good at that and move on to another. Chicken is a good choice as it is cheap and somewhat forgiving, and doesn't take a long time to do. Even if you totally botch a smoke with chicken your not out allot of cash. By running your smoker several times with a cheaper meat you will gain knowledge on how your smoker works. What to do what not to do how much wood etc etc. This knowledge will carry over into other smokes, and meats. Keep a log of all your smokes, makes it easier to remember what you did and what you want to do differently. 

And since it's going to be sitting unprotected on my deck, should I get the cover for it?  I don't know if it will rust or not and I'd like to keep it in good shape. A cover will definitely help keep it protected, and clean. I don't have my master forge covered and it gets quite dirty. I did at one time have a cover but  high winds during a storm  made it take a trip to who knows where, and I just never replaced it.

Thanks a lot,

Jane

One item you need and in my opnion it's a MUST have is a GOOD thermometer. You may already have one but if not I recommend the Maverick 732. That bad boy is well worth every penny it costs. You can get them at the same place that sells the AMNPS

Welcome to SMF...
welcome1.gif
...Looks like the others did a good job with the questions. When you start using woods for smoke. A couple things to keep in mind...Fruit woods are milder and somewhat sweet smelling. Cherry, apple and alder is good with fish as well as lemon and orange if you are in the south. Cherry and apple is available at Home Depot and apple wood is available at most hardware stores and home centers as well.

The stronger woods are hickory, oak, mesquite, I really like hickory and oak. Mesquite is also a nice smoke. All very easy to find at stores. I personally like to mix fruit woods with the stronger woods at the same smoke. Here is a complete list for you. Oh, you don't want to soak the wood chunks in water when used on a smoker. With minimum air flow they will smoke and smolder. If you are putting wood on a charcoal grill without restricted air flow, you may want to soak the wood to prevent the wood from burning up in two minutes. Here is a good list for you to look over.

grilling_smilie.gif

[h2]The following woods are great for smoking:[/h2]
  • Acacia - the same family as mesquite, though not as heavy. A very hot burning wood. Smoked color: yellow, lemon type
  • Alder - light flavor that works well with fish and poultry. Contains a hint of sweetness, good with poultry and light – meat game birds. Traditionally used for smoking salmon. Northwest.
  • Almond - a nutty, sweet flavor
  • Apple - mild, fruity flavor, slightly sweet. Good for poultry, pork. Northwest.
  • Apricot - mild, sweet flavor. Good on fish, poultry, pork
  • Birch - medium hard wood, flavor similar to maple. Good with poultry, pork,
  • Black Walnut - heavy flavor, can impart bitter taste if not monitored carefully
  • Cherry - mild, fruity. Good with poultry, pork, beef.
  • Citrus - lemon, grapefruit, orange, nectarine – light fruity flavor, good with fish, poultry, pork and beef.
  • Fruit trees - apple, cherry, apricot – sweet mild flavor
  • Hickory - strong flavor, good with beef and lamb. Smoked products develop reddish color. Southern regions.
  • Maple - like fruit, sweet flavor. Northeast.
  • Mulberry - sweet, similar to apple
  • Mesquite - very strong flavor, burns hot and fast. Good for hot short smoking, better for grilling.
  • Oak - probably best all around wood for meat smoking. Strong but not overpowering, good for sausages, beef or lamb. Smoked products develop light brown to brown color, depending on the length of smoking.
  • Peach - mild, sweet flavor. Good on fish, poultry, pork
  • Pear - light and sweet, smoked color dark – red. Excellent with poultry and pork.
  • Pecan - milder version of hickory. Burns cool. Southwest region.
  • Plum - mild, sweet flavor. Good on fish, poultry, pork
  • Walnut - heavy smoke flavor. Can impart bitter taste if not monitored. Good with red meats and game.
Quoted for awesomeness.

Seriously, I'm saving a screenshot of this for convenient future reference. Smoking woods 101 in 20 lines.

That said, I'm sure you'll quickly develop favorites when it comes to woods, or blends of woods. Everybody here has an experiential preference based on their taste, and the best way to find yours is just to keep the hobby rolling. Personally, I'm a fan of pecan because that's the taste and smell that struck a comfortable chord with me, finding this preference was a fun journey. Finding yours will be just as fun.

The only other advice out there I can think of is to not be afraid to ask questions.

Welcome!

Welcome Jane and congrats on the smoker. I have an MES 40 and like you, uneducated in the fine art of smoking foods. Looks like you got lots of good answers, but yes you better cover the smoker from the weather. Don't want the control panel display to get wet or have the sun beat on it. Great advice from SharonaZamboni  on picking what you want to smoke and then search it here on the forums. 

With the MES it is simple.  What makes it look hard is that there are so many of us that have found different ways to smoke things and we post it all here. aka brain over load. The members here have gone a lot farther into ways to use the MES than Masterbuilt ever thought about doing.

A couple of whole chickens (or parts) is a great first smoke . doesn't take long and taste great.

A good wireless thermometer is a must w/ the MES as their numbers are usually off and this just makes it harder for you.

Line your water pan and drip tray w/ heavy foil before you start.  ( makes clean up easy)

Put liquid in the water pan.

Close the door, close the top vent  and preheat the mes to cooking temp.

Open the top vent fully, place a palm full of dry wood chips in the chip chute and dump in the chip pan.

Lay the meat on the racks to smoke.

Shut the door and let it go . Add chips every 45 min or when you don't SMELL smoke coming out the top vent.

Monitor you cooking and internal temps till done.

Now that you nave the basics ,You can order the AMNS or AMNPS and elminate the wood chips.

Like someone before me said . Correct monitoring of temps is the most important thing as if you are cooking to low you risk having raw meat or having to smoke way longer than you planned to. Cooking at to high of temps and you risk dry inedible meat

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky