Help! - Brined Pastrami Too Spicy Hot

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

unity5358

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 18, 2013
I have brined a brisket flat for 6 days, intending to follow Jeff's instructions. I did my own pickling spice mixture according to Michael Ruhlman's recipe, but I mistakenly added way too much crushed red pepper. I realized this too late and hoped it wouldn't make that much difference. When I cooked a tiny slice to test for saltiness after a 6 day brine, the salt level was OK, but it was pretty spicy hot. Great for me, not for my wife, though. Will soaking it in water do anything to reduce the spicy hotness like it does to reduce the saltiness? If not, I guess the whole pastrami will have to be for me. Oh, well! :emoji_scream: :emoji_grin:
:emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I have brined a brisket flat for 6 days, intending to follow Jeff's instructions. I did my own pickling spice mixture according to Michael Ruhlman's recipe, but I mistakenly added way too much crushed red pepper. I realized this too late and hoped it wouldn't make that much difference. When I cooked a tiny slice to test for saltiness after a 6 day brine, the salt level was OK, but it was pretty spicy hot. Great for me, not for my wife, though. Will soaking it in water do anything to reduce the spicy hotness like it does to reduce the saltiness? If not, I guess the whole pastrami will have to be for me. Oh, well! :emoji_scream: :emoji_grin:
:emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I don't know if a soak will pull the heat out but we use a lot of peppers in our cooking and if it gets too hot we will counter with acid and it works well. Maybe a quick pickle on some onion and radish on the sandwich will make it OK for her.

Highly unlikely the spice Pender red deeply. You can soak it in water overnight but worst case trim the bark / outer layer for hers.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I make a Carolina reaper hot link . If they get to hot I use creamy coleslaw to balance it out . Actually really good like that . Maybe try it on a sandwich .

Usually spices and aromatics do not penetrate whole muscle meats very far. A slice from the middle won’t be overall spicy.

I don't know if a soak will pull the heat out but we use a lot of peppers in our cooking and if it gets too hot we will counter with acid and it works well. Maybe a quick pickle on some onion and radish on the sandwich will make it OK for her.
Highly unlikely the spice Pender red deeply. You can soak it in water overnight but worst case trim the bark / outer layer for hers.

Usually spices and aromatics do not penetrate whole muscle meats very far. A slice from the middle won’t be overall spicy.
As above, outside of salt and nitrites, brine spices don't penetrate very deep.

Soak overnight in a lightly acidic bath. Try a bit of wine or red wine vinegar for the acid.
Soaking in dairy will help neutralize heat too. Provided you don't have a restriction against dairy.

Any spice on the surface that liquifies will be drawn into the meat in my experience . Whole spices won't .
These are both eye round dried beef .
One rubbed with Tender quick and smoked .
1679173638466.jpeg
One rubbed with Tender quick and Reaper powder .
You can see the color difference . That stuff is hot too . I bet you get some heat into the center of yours , but try the advice above and I bet she likes it .
1679173668082.jpeg
I did my own pickling spice mixture according to Michael Ruhlman's recipe,
That's the one and only thing I use from his book . It's a fantastic pickling spice .

Reactions: BBQBeth and jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky