Hello

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SMD

Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
Royersford, PA
Hello Forums! East PA smoker here.

I’ve been lurking for a couple years and have enjoyed much of your advice, so I figured I should create an account and give you all a long overdue thank you! My wife bought me a smoker for Christmas 3 years ago (a Masterbuilt 40” electric) and these forums have helped us turn out some really good food.

We’re getting ready to pull the plug and buy our second smoker this Spring... we spend a lot of time kayaking on a lake with a bunch of friends so we need a smoker we can throw into the back of our truck. We’re leaning towards an 18” WSM. One of my buddies has a 22”, I’ve sat shotgun with him a few times and feel pretty comfortable with the smoker, I don’t think we need a 22” though. We haven’t had to cook more than a couple briskets or butts at one time so I think the 18” should do the trick.

Both our boys are starting to get interested in the whole smoking experience too so we are planning on doing some road trips this summer as a family and watch some competitions, meet some new people and eat their food. Should be fun father/son bonding times!

When my wife bought our smoker we thought it was just another backyard grill sort of thing... It seems to be turning into something more.

She’s starting to think I’m losing my mind though :(

Thanks again!

Last edited:
I have the 18.5 and wish I did get the 22. You can always cook less in the 22 but not more in the 18.5
Richie
Welcome to SMF

Welcome to the forum.
I agree with Richie, I would go for the 22.5.
I have had all 3 sizes & sold the 14 & the 18.
Al

Looking forward to meeting some PA folks this summer. My family and I are planning on heading out to the “Smoke in the Grove” event.

texas-animated-flag-1.gif
Good morning and welcome to the forum from a nice sunny chilly day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky