Hello from southeastern Virginia!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

The Kaylors

Original poster
Jan 13, 2024
Have tried to make a brisket many times and all were epic failures! Got a new Pit Boss pellet smoker and am looking for tips for a juicy, fall apart tender, brisket! TIA

Reactions: JLeonard
Howdy and welcome to the group from New Mexico.
Feel free to start a thread and ask any questions you want.
Plenty of knowledgeable folks here.

Reactions: The Kaylors
Howdy from the temporarily Arctic hell of central Missouri.
You should start a thread asking for pointers with the brisket in your new Pit Boss

Welcome aboard, glad to have join the fun.

Have tried to make a brisket many times and all were epic failures! Got a new Pit Boss pellet smoker and am looking for tips for a juicy, fall apart tender, brisket! TIA
Lets start with. How are they failures?

Are you smoking whole packers, points, or flats?

What's telling you they're done temp, time or probing?

That should get us going in the right direction to help you out.

Chris

Welcome from Chesapeake! I've never cooked a brisket in my life so I can't help you there, but be certain somebody here can.

We’re newbies to smoking. We use what we can normally get from the grocery store so I guess it’s the flat with the big fat cap? Tried on a low grill in foil for like 12 hours. Tried in oven in foil on 250 for many hours. Tried in oven in apple cider. Didn’t record all of the specifics, just know that they were always dry and not tender at all.

So at this point, I’d just like to start new! Lol

Packers are about 14 to 16 pounds, and are made up of both the point and flat.

Flats are usually in the 8 to 9 pound range and normally have a fat cap.

Points around 6 pounds and have internal fat.

While all three can be challenging to cook. The flat by itself is probably most difficult. Heres a readers digest version of how to cook a brisket flat. Smoke it on the grate until you reach an internal temp of about 165* or the stall. The stall is when the brisket temp stops climbing. When you're in the stall. Put the flat in a disposable aluminum pan on a rack and add some of your favorite liquid(only add enough so it just under the rack). Cover with aluminum foil and continue cooking until you reach about 195 to 200*. At this point you'll want to start probing for tenderness. When the probe or skewer goes into the flat like hot knife would butter. Then your done. Slice against the grain and enjoy.

If you do a search on here. There are a whole lot of threads that go into more details, but this is the jist of it.

Tough and chewy = undercooked
Crumbly = overcooked

Chris

Packers are about 14 to 16 pounds, and are made up of both the point and flat.

Flats are usually in the 8 to 9 pound range and normally have a fat cap.

Points around 6 pounds and have internal fat.

While all three can be challenging to cook. The flat by itself is probably most difficult. Heres a readers digest version of how to cook a brisket flat. Smoke it on the grate until you reach an internal temp of about 165* or the stall. The stall is when the brisket temp stops climbing. When you're in the stall. Put the flat in a disposable aluminum pan on a rack and add some of your favorite liquid(only add enough so it just under the rack). Cover with aluminum foil and continue cooking until you reach about 195 to 200*. At this point you'll want to start probing for tenderness. When the probe or skewer goes into the flat like hot knife would butter. Then your done. Slice against the grain and enjoy.

If you do a search on here. There are a whole lot of threads that go into more details, but this is the jist of it.

Tough and chewy = undercooked
Crumbly = overcooked

Chris
Thank you!

Welcome Home, a whole packer is easier for me to cook vs a flat, trim fat thin 1/8"-1/4", salt pepper garlic powder or a store bought rub, I love the suckle busters 1836 on anything beef. plan for 90 min per pound depending on the temp you run the pit at, I start mine as low as it will run for a couple hours then run it up to 250-275, wrap at the stall, around 160-170, finish temp will be in the 200-205 but can take higher to get probe tender, that is what your looking for. good luck

Welcome to the party.. I did a little time in Wachapreague VA. Shot an hour north of the Bay bridge tunnel……. Not jail time 😂

Welcome from Mississippi! Look forward to more of your posts and PICS. We like show and tell.

Check this thread out. Has worked for me many times...

Jim

Reactions: SmokinAl
Thanks everyone! It actually turned out so well were doing it again tomorrow!

Attachments

• IMG_5090.jpeg
    IMG_5090.jpeg
    279.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5091.jpeg
    IMG_5091.jpeg
    295.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5092.jpeg
    IMG_5092.jpeg
    285.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5093.jpeg
    IMG_5093.jpeg
    278.8 KB · Views: 4
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky