Hello from Gloucester!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What kind of smoker do you have?
Please describe what issues you have cooking with it so tips can be provided.

What kind of smoker do you have?
Please describe what issues you have cooking with it so tips can be provided.
Just got a new Pit Boss pellet smoker. Never smoked before so were new to the process. Looking for suggestions on how to get a tender, juicy, fall apart brisket.

First, if you haven't already, get a remote thermometer with alerts. A MUST!!!
Minimum of 2 ports, 4 is better.
One probe on the grate with temps set to alert you if temp goes too low or high.
Don't want an overnight cook go bad because you ran out of pellets or something else happened while you were sleeping.

What you rub on the brisket is up to you.
Take brisket straight from fridge to the smoker.
Many smoke the brisket at lowest temp you pit goes for 1-2 hours to get smoke.
Then bump the temp to 250 (I like 275).
Going to 275 after 90 minutes at low temp a brisket finishes in about 11-13 hours.
At the stall point (around 160-165f) many, including me wrap if foil or butcher paper, put back in smoker and reinsert probes.

When the Internal Temp(IT) of the brisket reaches 195f, it is time to test for doneness.
A toothpick should slide into the brisket with little resistance (like butter).

When it comes off you need to let it rest for a while.

Those are basics, but others will have their variations with their process.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky