Hello from Michigan!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mckcynthia

Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
Southeast Michigan
My name is Cindy and and as you can see I am from Michigan.  If you want to get more specific hold up your right hand and I am under the thumb.  I have just recently started smoking.  I bought a Masterbuilt 30" electric smoker about 4 weeks ago.  So far I am really happy with the results!  I tried making beef jerky for the first time yesterday.  My problem was that the chips I used never did smoke. I know this is due to the low temperature and I am trying to find a solution.  A friend of mine suggested this site.  I see that you already have threads that will probably help me out a lot, so I am about to head there.  I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.  By the way, I loved the jerky I made!  Although it didn't get the smoke flavor I wanted, it still tasted great due to the seasonings I used.

Hi Cindy! 
welcome1.gif
 [color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! You've come to the right place, there's lot's of great people here who love to share and help each other out![/color]

Would you do us a favor and update your profile to include your location, Thanks!

You might want to check out Jeff's Free 5 day E-course, it will teach you all the basics and a whole lot more: http://www.smoking-meat.com/smoking-basics-ecourse.html

If you want smoke at low temps on an MES this is your best bet:

http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNPS5X8

Welcome to the sight!  I live in the middle of the palm myself.  I know it means spending some extra money but the amaze-n smoker is a great add-on to your smoker to give you long period of the light smoke you cannot get from the MES. They have 3 styles to choose from and their service is top notch.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/

Barry.

Last edited:
Hello Cindy and welcome to SMF! Glad to have another Lady Smoker here. I have an MES40 and doing jerky at the low temps won't get you much if any smoke. 

Would you mind updating your profile to include a location? It helps folks, when answering questions, to know what part of the world you are in.

As Dave suggested, here's a solution. It's also excellent for cold smoking or long low and slow smokes:

If you want smoke at low temps on an MES this is your best bet:

http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNPS5X8

I've got the same smoker . With mine I just start out with it set at say 250 , and as soon as it starts to smoke go ahead and lower the temp to whatever you like . With jerky it doesn't need much smoke and it's easy to over smoke it and then it's not very good . I like heavily smoked meats and I have never had anything with too much smoke except for jerky . It just doesn't need much smoke to make it smoked flavored . I think the last couple of times I made jerky in mine I didn't add any wood chips , my smoker is so well seasoned that the meat is just picking up the smoke flavor from the interior of the smoker . When you start it with the temp at 250 it will only take probably about 5 minutes before your chips start smoking and then you could back the temp down to whatever and it will probably have enough smoke flavor for most people . I live in Mattawan / Paw Paw area ( near Kalamazoo ).

Thanks for the info!  I had already seen a lot of comments about the AMNPS and it took me a bit to figure out what it was. I have a feeling I am going to end up buying one.  I will update my profile. 
banana_smiley.gif

Thanks for the info!  I had already seen a lot of comments about the AMNPS and it took me a bit to figure out what it was. I have a feeling I am going to end up buying one.  I will update my profile. 
banana_smiley.gif

You will love it! And it works for hot smoking too, 10 hours of smoke without doing anything! Oh and the customer service from Todd is unmatched!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky