Hello from London, UK

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kablo0M

Original poster
May 17, 2022
Hi everyone,

I've just registered from London UK. I'm originally South African and a braai is a pretty fundamental part of living to us lot - it's less about the technique than the company (if you didn't know, it's basically outdoor grilling, with important traditions like pouring beer on the flames that jump up) - but I've been into smoking one way or another for many years. I like messing around with food in general, and have a ProQ smoker, a sous vide thing, and like pickling and curing as well.

Because we all like pictures, here are a few of my recent/best cooks:

My Most Tasty Ribs Ever (TM) were smoked in my ProQ for 3 hours at low temp (I chopped up cheap dish drying racks to make rib racks so I could fit 8 racks in the smoker) ...
IMG_20150715_190936.jpg

IMG_20150715_223649.jpg

before getting a rub...
IMG_20150715_224054.jpg

IMG_20150715_230046.jpg

and going in the Sous Vide for a couple of days at 60C (I modded a cool box to handle the load).
IMG_20150718_122954.jpg

They were then finished on the grill in batches as people got hungry.

Since I didn't get a chance to take photos of the final ribs here are some wings I made for the same party. These ended up with a spicy apricot glaze.
IMG_20150717_221728.jpg

I've had success (and failure!) making cured salmon and pancetta, but nothing beats taking a big piece of low and slow meat out of the smoker at a big party.
IMG_20150704_212925.jpg

For good measure here is last year's valentine's day steak
IMG_20210214_202735.jpg

and this lamb recipe; a family favourite
IMG_20200510_173707.jpg

I'm just embarking on a project to build a brick smoker and grill in my London garden and will post on the relevant forum there - I'd love some advice (I'm essentially trying to make a permanent version of this).
IMG_20140726_154728.jpg

Great to meet you all and so good to find this community of friendly people to talk to!

:)

KB, Welcome to a great site full of friendly folks and great tips and ideas , your goodies look delicious!

Welcome to the forums. Your chow looks real good on my screen. What animal are those ribs from. Something looks different to me. Also in the first pic are they inside a bag? It could just be my old eyes playing tricks on me.

Again welcome.

Chris

• Love
Reactions: negolien
Thanks all

GMC they're pig! It's really hard getting a good rib cut here; the butchers all favour the bacon so the ribs end up very skinny; I can't remember how I ended up with those but it was probably me issuing step by step instructions to the butcher, which is why they look weird :)

They's in bags in the waterbath in the cooler but just au naturel in that first photo...

Welcome, sorry you don't have as much great access cheap to meat as we do. We're heading in your direction though lol least you don't have it as bad as Ausie's and kiwi's. Love all your pics. The ribs look wierd to me though, kinda yellow. Just because their bare maybe?

Yeah they did look a bit anaemic after the smoking; I think it was no rub + low temp - I didn't want to try for any sort of bark, just to get some smokiness inside them before the water bath treatment.

The ProQ is pretty hard to keep at a stable temperature and my ribs were all coming out too tough for me to want to risk 8 racks that way for a party. Luckily going via the SV is really fun as well and the end texture was incredible. The rub also ended up helping emphasise the smoke ring, and grilling them off gave them a nice bark-like exterior at the end.

Very unconventional and I experimented for ages with the steps and the ordering etc, but super happy with the end result (so much so I didn't even snap them :emoji_disappointed:)

Welcome to the forum from Mississippi! We love pics and writeups of the different ways of doing things. We all shoot for the same thing....Tasty food that makes folks happy.
Jim

Hi everyone,

I've just registered from London UK. I'm originally South African and a braai is a pretty fundamental part of living to us lot - it's less about the technique than the company (if you didn't know, it's basically outdoor grilling, with important traditions like pouring beer on the flames that jump up) - but I've been into smoking one way or another for many years. I like messing around with food in general, and have a ProQ smoker, a sous vide thing, and like pickling and curing as well.

Because we all like pictures, here are a few of my recent/best cooks:

My Most Tasty Ribs Ever (TM) were smoked in my ProQ for 3 hours at low temp (I chopped up cheap dish drying racks to make rib racks so I could fit 8 racks in the smoker) ...
View attachment 632057
View attachment 632059
before getting a rub...
View attachment 632058
View attachment 632060
and going in the Sous Vide for a couple of days at 60C (I modded a cool box to handle the load).
View attachment 632061
They were then finished on the grill in batches as people got hungry.

Since I didn't get a chance to take photos of the final ribs here are some wings I made for the same party. These ended up with a spicy apricot glaze.
View attachment 632063

I've had success (and failure!) making cured salmon and pancetta, but nothing beats taking a big piece of low and slow meat out of the smoker at a big party.
View attachment 632062

For good measure here is last year's valentine's day steak
View attachment 632064

and this lamb recipe; a family favourite
View attachment 632065

I'm just embarking on a project to build a brick smoker and grill in my London garden and will post on the relevant forum there - I'd love some advice (I'm essentially trying to make a permanent version of this).
View attachment 632056

Great to meet you all and so good to find this community of friendly people to talk to!

:)
Wonderful 😀

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky