Hardware question??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lennyluminum

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
ST. Petersburg, FL
What kind of knives do you all use?? I would like to get a good set of knives that will hold an edge and last a long time. Also I would prefer to spend as little as I can not lookin to spend $1,000.00 on knives.
eek.gif

My daily knives are Chicago Cutlery, we bout em 26 years ago when we got married, hold a good edge, get yerself a good steel an keep the edge keen, then a good stone ta put that edge back on when the steel won't.

Ifin ya have a notion fer antique stores, find yerself some Green River knives, they be the ones from the pakin houses, I have several that were my dads an grandpas, ain't no better knife then a Green River!

Don't buy sets, generally have more then yall will use. Get a butcher knife, a slicer, a bread knife, parin knife an ifin yer gonna do alota poultry get yerself a cleaver.

I agree Tip.

But, I got a set in the 70's, what is that 30 + years ago. I use them all.

Minus the paring knife it was on a different counter. The chefs knife is a must have also.

I'm pretty sure they are carbon steel which is soft, so you can ruin them them easily. But that means you can also bring back the edge easily also. Always use a cutting board, never in the dishwasher.

Years ago I saw the same set at a neighbors house and they were ruined in a few years in the dishwasher.

I use a Chef's Choice Diamond Hone sharpener #315, maybe 1 time a month. I don't use the steel much as it is hard to get the right angle that that sharpener does.

Hope this helps.

travcoman45
I agree with travcoman45 as Chicago Cutlery being a wise purchase for the money. Chicago Cutlery to me is of very good quality.

Currently using the entire line of Pampered Chef Cutlery which is German steel and quality cutlery; very happy with them.

Someday I want to be able to afford peices of WÃœSTHOF Cutlery.....

I have a set of Calphalon Contemporary knives that I am very pleased with. I do need to get a good sharpener but beyond that, I like how they feel (Very solid, full tang) look nice and came with a big block.

I paid a little over $300 for the initial set and have spent about $150 additional for the other knives I decided to add.

Look on ebay. Saw a set a week or two ago that was a steal.

I use the Henckel's 4 stars. I don't put em in the DW, but the wife does and they survive going on 18-20 years now. Not cheap, but they last a long time and do a great job.

There are a lot of good inexpensive knives out there now though. I like the Dexter-Russell SaniSafe knives as well, just not as fancy looking.

dont know if you have a sams club around, but we like there knives, they come out razor sharp, and with about 5 minutes on my stone they'll shave you. I sharpen them probably once a month, I doubt I need to, but I like to have them "dangerously sharp", as the wife says.

You can pick them up where the cuttingboards, and plastic plates and stuff is, they are not in with the other knives and stuff, the come in a double pack for about 12 bucks.
b5882128_vbattach19826.jpg

Pampered chef has a line of knives that are really nice. I have a set of cutco's that are nice also. If you find a pampered chef consultant, I know they have specials several times a year on their cutlery.

Look into old hickory knives at a place like tractor supply. They are pretty cheap, but can really get an edge. They dull easily too, as somebody already pointed out, but are easy to sharpen. The most expensive should be under $20..

x2 on the Henkels Four Star (stay away from the International Everedge). These are the best knives I've ever owned, hands down. I also own a single Wusthof Santoku knife and put it's quality in-line with the Henkels.

I own a few Cutco knives. In my opinion some of the best knives money can buy. Most good knives will last a long time if they are taken care of. And I wouldn't buy a big set, since most of the knives you may get will be used very little. I would highly recommend a good chefs knife. I use my chefs knife for about 80 - 90 percent of my cutting.

BTW - Modern Marvels on the History Channel had a whole segment on Cutco. I know the knives are stamped, but they put a great deal of attention on getting them just right. (Made in the USA, too.)

I use a Shun Classic set we've put together one piece at a time. They are incredible knives! You can get a 6 pc set for about $350 that'll last a lifetime.

Here's a quick description: Made from VG-10 stainless steel, Shun knives are specially constructed to be harder, less brittle, but also more flexible than traditional steel formulations. The VG-10 core is then clad with 16 full layers of SUS410 high-carbon stainless steel on each side, for a total of 33 layers. These layers not only protect the VG-10, they create an exquisitely-detailed surface reminiscent of Damascus or pattern-forged steel, the kind once used for Samurai swords. As a result, the knives are simply stunning to look at--much like antique Damascus knives but without their tendency to rust.

Whatever you do, don't buy a ceramic knife! They are definitely sharper than any steel blade but even with the most cautious care they can chip and break very easily.

I found these first in the fishing tackle aisle myself. 12" butcher for knocking big fish down to size and 9" fillet for the rest of the job.

Got all my knives when I worked in a Packing House, Still have them, I put a steel to them and then use a ceramic steel to put a true edge on them

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky