Ham "roast"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

biaviian

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
I have a "ham roast" which is just a 2.5-3" thick slice of ham. What would you do with it? Smoke, sous vide (so it doesn't get dry. I HATE dry or salty ham), grill, etcetera? It was dirt cheap, so I couldn't pass it up. I feel like Fred Flintstone when I hold it. Can I get some of the salt out via a soak?

Last edited:
I have a "ham roast" which is just a 2.5-3" thick slice of ham. What would you do with it? Smoke, sous vide (so it doesn't get dry. I HATE dry or salty ham), grill, etcetera? It was dirt cheap, so I couldn't pass it up. I feel like Fred Flintstone when I hold it. Can I get some of the salt out via a soak?

Is it already cured & cooked?
If so, I'd smoke it again (Double Smoked):
Double Smoked Ham

Then slice it up for Dinner & Sammies.

Bear

Is it already cured & cooked?
If so, I'd smoke it again (Double Smoked):
Double Smoked Ham

Then slice it up for Dinner & Sammies.

Bear

It is, yes. My concern is it getting dry. The thickness is what concerns me. I was looking at that thread a few weeks ago.

Included with it is some spice packet to use while reheating. I can't imagine what is in that packet. I'll find out in a few days after I defrost it.

It is, yes. My concern is it getting dry. The thickness is what concerns me. I was looking at that thread a few weeks ago.

Included with it is some spice packet to use while reheating. I can't imagine what is in that packet. I'll find out in a few days after I defrost it.

I forgot what you're smoking with, but it wouldn't dry out in an MES, following my Step by Step.
If there's no fat to put in a pan above, I'd throw a few slices of Bacon in it.

Bear

I forgot what you're smoking with, but it wouldn't dry out in an MES, following my Step by Step.
If there's no fat to put in a pan above, I'd throw a few slices of Bacon in it.

Bear

I have access to fat so I may give it a go. I won't use bacon due to the salt. I have been using a WSM more lately but in the cold I use the MES. I may cut it in half and smoke one half.

I have access to fat so I may give it a go. I won't use bacon due to the salt. I have been using a WSM more lately but in the cold I use the MES. I may cut it in half and smoke one half.

You can do that, but I'll make a bet that if you do half, once you taste it, you'll wish you Double Smoked the whole thing.

Bear

The dbl smoked ham is really good . I'm wondering what that spice packet is .

I think I'd dice it up & make bean soup, or ham salad.
Forget about cooking it anymore, I think it's too thin.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky