Grilling chicken with indirect heat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cnl390

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
San Antonio TX
I always smoke my chicken. But this time around my wife does not want the smoke flavor. Need some tips on how to go about doing this on my offset? I am assuming a higher temperature.

A few more details would probably reward better answers. For example...

What cut(s) of chicken?
Skin on/off?
Do you brine/inject?
What type of indirect cooker do you use?
Do you normally run just wood/mix of charcoal and wood?

I will tell you if you want crispy skin on chicken you will at least have to finish hot to crisp it up.

Chicken halves
No brine or injection
For this cook charcoal only

Looks like you can cook the chicken on the fire box. Put the coals on one side and cook indirect. Then move over to hot coals towards the end to crisp up the skin a bit. Or put them on the left as usual, then move onto fire box at the end. You should be fine either way.

Thanks. My problem with the fire box is I have no way raising or lowering the coals. What temp would you recommend for the cook chamber.

With that smoker and chicken halves, I'd put them on indirect at 225-250 until 155ish, and then finish them over the top of the coals to crisp the skin.

Last edited:
Hot and fast for me, indirect or not.
Run her up to 450 and check internal temp 30/40 minutes later.
I

I just treat the grill like it's a oven, make a fire on one side, cook on the other. Add chips for smoke as needed. I don't care about temps, just if it get's done or not! Good Luck

Cook the chicken in your oven at lower temps and then finish off over the coals for crisp skin and a bit of charcoal flavor?

My wife is all around the universe on her acceptable taste.
Smoke is iffy. Charcoal is mostly OK.

Let her cook her own damn chicken... just kidding of course. :emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy:
Just use charcoal and don't add any smoke wood, try to get the chamber up to 325-375* for crisp skin.
Or you can go low and slow it that is the texture you are looking for until you get an internal of 135 then take it into the house and pop it into a 400* oven to crisp the skin and finish it off to 165*.

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky