Grilled Pork Tenderloin w/Blueberry Gastrique...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
I've been real busy lately, but not too busy to cook occasionally. Pork tenderloin was on the menu and since we're trying to eliminate or reduce sugar in our diet, I thought I'd try a sugar free blueberry gastrique using Swerve. So here we go...

Two pork tenderloins somewhat trimmed and seasoned coarse salt and black pepper...
20230220_150132[1].jpg

Onto a Weber with some lump and a split of hickory for indirect cooking...
20230220_180355[1].jpg

Rotate a couple of times...
20230220_182513[1].jpg

Pulled to rest at 145℉...
20230220_183034[1].jpg

Meanwhile I've gathered the ingredients for the gastrique...
20230220_163422[1].jpg

• 2 containers of fresh blueberries
  • 1 cup of Swerve
  • 1 cup of balsamic vinegar
  • ¼ cup of white wine. I used Pinot Grigio because I had it.
Everything into a pot to simmer and reduce to thicken...
20230220_183052[1].jpg

When the desired consistency is reached, it can be strained or blended, but I used it as is as we like it a little chunky. The blueberries will cook to pieces and not much in the way of seeds, anyway.

Tenderloin is sliced...
20230220_184320[1].jpg

Served with roasted cauliflower, cooked collards with smoked ham from my freezer, and frozen yeast rolls with homemade honey butter. Time to eat...
20230220_185925[1].jpg

Considering I didn't use sugar, the gastrique was excellent and everyone had good comments about it. I've seen many of jcam222 jcam222 's dishes where he's used it, but this was my first time using Swerve. I'm impressed with its taste and the lack of aftertaste that other sugar substitutes can have. Only downside is it's expensive at $7 for a 12 oz. bag, but I'll use it again. Every year in the late fall when they are being harvested, I get a couple of cases of collards and cook them up this way, put them in quart containers and in the freezer. Very convenient to just thaw and reheat. This year, I used smoked ham instead of the smoked turkey the recipe calls for.

Well that's all for now. Weather is warmer this week and I hear that the fish are jumping in the boat so gotta run...:emoji_laughing:. Anyone want to go fishing?

I'll go fishing with ya if there is a dinner like that planned when we get back! Looks mighty fine.

Jim

Come on let's go. When we get back, I can certainly find something to eat...

Great looking plate Charles. I'm a big fan of blueberries so I'll have to give this a go.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Looks delicious! Nicely done!
Thank you, Keith!
Yes please.
Come on Norman, get you as much as you want...:emoji_wink:
Great looking plate Charles. I'm a big fan of blueberries so I'll have to give this a go.

Point for sure
Chris
The blueberries really make this gastrique good, but most any berry will work. I like to use blackberries, but some of my crew are turned off by all the seeds which get stuck in their teeth...
Nice work Charles .
Thank you very much, Rich...

Great looking meal and congrats on a well deserved ride! I’m digging the sugar free blueberry gastrique. I did one with the elk and really enjoyed it, would be great to add a sugar free version.

Great looking meal and congrats on a well deserved ride! I’m digging the sugar free blueberry gastrique. I did one with the elk and really enjoyed it, would be great to add a sugar free version.
Your compliments are greatly appreciated, Jed. Since I was diagnosed with type II, I've avoided sugar as much as possible and I love sweets. It's hard to eliminate all sugar, but I can greatly reduce it...

Reactions: bauchjw
SWEEEEEET!! Look at you, got the double ride going. That doesn't happen often but it sure is deserved. We did a small pork loin a couple nights ago, quick and easy, but that blueberry gastrique sounds absolutely fantastic. Got me thinking that maybe, just maybe, I'll be making that one day real soon :emoji_wink: Beautiful job buddy, beautiful job.

Roebrt

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky