Greetings from SoCal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SoCalTom

Original poster
Jun 15, 2020
Hi I’m Tom. I recently bought an Oklahoma Joe longhorn reverse offset smoker. I have quite a bit of experience with an extra large big green egg, (BGE) and also a beautiful propane FireMagic grill.

I’ll be looking for advice on the OklahomaJoe, right now I feel like I’m burning way too much fuel. I’ve done most of the mods found online, Gasket(s) cooker chamber and firebox, sealed all openings when I assembled, lavalock solid stainless running plates, water box, etc.

have done 4-5 cooks and test fires:
  • Fogo lump and briquettes, small 8” oak sticks
  • Fogo lump and hickory splits
  • Minimal Fogo lump and briquettes to light, then oak splits, logs...pretty big for my fire box

All the options seemed to use more fuel and more tending the fire than I expected. All the food (ribs, brisket x 2), two pork butts, has turned out wonderful. Just sometimes longer and using a lot if fuel.

I will post appropriately when I get to know my way around the forum, thanks in advance.

Welcome from Arkansas! Glad you joined! Although I am not familiar with your type of smoker, I am pretty sure other members on here will help you!
Thanks...I’m looking forward to learning and sharing what I can.

Tom, welcome from NorCal. Glad you're here and learning your stick burner. Try posting your fuel question in the appropriate smoker section to get the attention of fellow stick burners.

Enjoy the forum!

Ray

Howdy Tom, welcome from Gilbert, AZ! I have a Meadow Creek SQ36 offset, I'll tell you right now they eat wood and require constant attention. I no longer ever use any kind of charcoal, I stack some splits, most often hickory, and light them with a weed torch, nice bed of coals in about a hour.
DSCN1754.JPG

I usually smoke with the door open anywhere from a crack to a couple of inches for heat control, it's always nice to see a little flame and stay away from bad smoke. Once you've got your cook chamber temperature dialed in it'll take adding a split every 30-45 minutes and making adjustments with the door and vents. It's not like a pellet pooper where you just set things and walk away, you are part of the cook, a big part! There are trade-offs to everything. Yes, they require more attention and fuel, tho they give far greater smoke flavor, and they don't break!. With a pellet smoker if the power goes out or the feeder gets stuck, or any number of other problems that can crop up from having so many parts you are pretty much dead in the water. With an offset there's nothing to break, all you have to do is pay attention.
DSCN1897.JPG

If you've got access to cutting and drying your own wood the fuel is just about free as opposed to $20 for a 20lb bag of pellets. If you don't want to spend the time and attention to tending the fire then you just got the wrong thing for your smoking needs. RAY

Howdy Tom, welcome from Gilbert, AZ! I have a Meadow Creek SQ36 offset, I'll tell you right now they eat wood and require constant attention. I no longer ever use any kind of charcoal, I stack some splits, most often hickory, and light them with a weed torch, nice bed of coals in about a hour.
View attachment 450805

I usually smoke with the door open anywhere from a crack to a couple of inches for heat control, it's always nice to see a little flame and stay away from bad smoke. Once you've got your cook chamber temperature dialed in it'll take adding a split every 30-45 minutes and making adjustments with the door and vents. It's not like a pellet pooper where you just set things and walk away, you are part of the cook, a big part! There are trade-offs to everything. Yes, they require more attention and fuel, tho they give far greater smoke flavor, and they don't break!. With a pellet smoker if the power goes out or the feeder gets stuck, or any number of other problems that can crop up from having so many parts you are pretty much dead in the water. With an offset there's nothing to break, all you have to do is pay attention.
View attachment 450810

If you've got access to cutting and drying your own wood the fuel is just about free as opposed to $20 for a 20lb bag of pellets. If you don't want to spend the time and attention to tending the fire then you just got the wrong thing for your smoking needs. RAY
Good reply, Ray. Thanks....sums up Nicely and Gives me hope!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky