Greetings from Saudi Arabia

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey everyone

Indaswamp's question about the types of meat we have here made me smoke a piece of a camel's thigh.

Turned out very similar to a beef chuck, though the piece i found had little marbling. I just wanted to share a few pics (i have a video but i'm not sure how to share that, i'm guessing through a link to another upload site or something.
rps20180125_0006002.jpg
rps20180125_0007162.jpg

Cheers

Looks great HitMan. Nice job on both the beef and the camel.

I thought SA put a ban on the sale of camel meat a couple years ago because of fears that it was associated with the MERS virus. Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe the ban was lifted.

I've had camel a number of times, primarily in Egypt, but also, Syria and the UAE.Maybe it was just the dishes I had camel in but I enjoyed it very much. I also found the flavor superior to the beef that was available. The last time I had camel was around 4 years ago in Abu Dhabi. In one of the restaurants at the hotel I was staying at, The Emirates Palace, the signature item is a camel burger served on a bun glazed with 24K gold flakes. It was served with truffle mayonnaise and a side dish of chickpea fritters dusted with 24K gold. It was actually very good but only something you would find in the Middle East.

Again, great job and good luck with your business venture.

Reactions: HitManQ
Looks great HitMan. Nice job on both the beef and the camel.

I thought SA put a ban on the sale of camel meat a couple years ago because of fears that it was associated with the MERS virus. Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe the ban was lifted.

I've had camel a number of times, primarily in Egypt, but also, Syria and the UAE.Maybe it was just the dishes I had camel in but I enjoyed it very much. I also found the flavor superior to the beef that was available. The last time I had camel was around 4 years ago in Abu Dhabi. In one of the restaurants at the hotel I was staying at, The Emirates Palace, the signature item is a camel burger served on a bun glazed with 24K gold flakes. It was served with truffle mayonnaise and a side dish of chickpea fritters dusted with 24K gold. It was actually very good but only something you would find in the Middle East.

Again, great job and good luck with your business venture.

You're right there was a ban but not for too long, i think it was just a few weeks. People here consider camel meat a very huge thing, especially the middle and north regions of KSA.
I mean usually presenting a whole cooked camel over rice is a sign of honor and respect especially to Bedouins.

Yeah i figured stuff like that can only be seen in Dubai or abu Dhabi. Btw did those gold flakes make any difference in taste?

Oh and thanks i really appreciate it :D

Given a choice I'd rather have a homemade Humpy sandwich from HMQ than a glitter covered fancy burger.

anytime you're in KSA i'll be happy to make you as much as you want ;):D

Reactions: oddegan
The last time I had camel was around 4 years ago in Abu Dhabi. In one of the restaurants at the hotel I was staying at, The Emirates Palace, the signature item is a camel burger served on a bun glazed with 24K gold flakes. It was served with truffle mayonnaise and a side dish of chickpea fritters dusted with 24K gold. It was actually very good but only something you would find in the Middle East.

Only in the UAE! lol.

You're right there was a ban but not for too long, i think it was just a few weeks. People here consider camel meat a very huge thing, especially the middle and north regions of KSA.
I mean usually presenting a whole cooked camel over rice is a sign of honor and respect especially to Bedouins.

Yeah i figured stuff like that can only be seen in Dubai or abu Dhabi. Btw did those gold flakes make any difference in taste?

Oh and thanks i really appreciate it :D

I've heard about the Bedouin weddings where they do a whole camel stuffed with hard boiled eggs, fish, chicken lamb/goat, and rice. Unfortunately, I've never been invited so I can't comment about it except to say it has to make a turducken look like child's play.

No, I couldn't taste anything in the burger that would uniquely make me think of gold. Just a well made camel burger with some Middle Eastern spicing, truffle mayonnaise, and nicely decorated. Just everyday fare in Abu Dhabi. Another unique item on the menu was a 24K gold dusted cappuccino. I took a pass.

I was talking to the manager who told me that, for food decoration purposes only, they go through 11 lbs. of 24K gold annually. At today's closing prices, that comes to around $240,000 USD. Seems a bit over the top until you remember that the hotel has a vending machine in the lobby that dispenses small 24K gold bars.

Reactions: HitManQ

Hehehe yeah that is insane, i can't even come up with a name for that, camgofichicricegg :D:D:D:D. And yeah me niether, and i'm saudi :p

Seriously a mini gold bar vending machine, as if the "small" part makes any difference :D:D

What is really good here, at least in my opinion is a whole lamb on rice, aka "mufatah" now that's tasty and is a must in any major social event:cool:

Btw here is a picture of a whole camel on rice (i've never eaten one btw)
images-6.jpg

And here's the whole lamb
B4pZP5FCQAEC_Fn.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky