Grape Vines

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

calis

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
Tr-Cities Washington
I grew up basically in the woods. We would often go out and swing on the vines hanging from the trees. These would vary in thickness and have a thin shaggy bark on them. We always referred to them as grape vines. To the best of my knowledge I never saw a single grape on one though. Does anyone know if these are related...and if they are useful for smoke?

Hmmm-Hard to say without more info and where you are. I can think of two vines that are common in SC that could be what you describe. One is kudzo which can have large smooth vines. The leaves are oval, fairly fat and grow at the ends in groups of threes. The other is wild grape (muscadine) and have plam sized leaves with jagged edges and (sort-of)maple leaf shaped. They produce (delicious) fruit this time of year tho the vine must be farily old and have a good bit of direct sunshine to fruit.

I know ask Tarzan or better yet Cheeda may know. Got me

Tarzan smoked the vines, and cheetah just ate them.

My greek neighbor would stuff the wild ones and roll up.She knew what she was looking for.I have no personal experince though-she has passed on.

I have smoked with grape wood years ago.I bought in store and did not care for it.I chalked that experience up to pour quality though....

Go ahead and use it, good for Chicken and Pork. A little strong, but worthwhile.
If you can find any ripe grapes on any of those vines, harvest them and make jelly, very good stuff,Mustang Grape Jelly.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky