100% hickory or 100% mesquite pellets online?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

diversification

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 19, 2021
Has anyone done research to find the best (read cheapest) place to buy 100% hickory or 100% mesquite pellets online? Seems like I'm running across a lot if $50 to $70 price tags for 40 lb bags, which seems pretty high despite 100% flavor wood being more expensive than blends. I tend to believe that the brand probably doesn't matter too much if it's 100% one type of wood, so I don't really care which brand.

For the record, if it drops the price notably, I'm happy to grab multiple bags... but I'm not interested in pallet of them or anything like that.

For the record, I'm not going to be running only the 100% single-wood pellets by themselves, I'll be mixing them in with cheaper blends to adjust the portion of these more flavorful woods I'm burning.

Thanks!

Reactions: JLeonard
I've always bought a ton of Lumberjack pellets and split them up with family and friends.
If you are looking for cheap. online is probably not the way to go due to shipping costs, unless you can find what you want from places like Lowes, HD, or Walmart.
I would check their stores as well as Tractor Supply (if you have one).
They might have what you want.

I've always bought a ton of Lumberjack pellets and split them up with family and friends.
If you are looking for cheap. online is probably not the way to go due to shipping costs, unless you can find what you want from places like Lowes, HD, or Walmart.
I would check their stores as well as Tractor Supply (if you have one).
They might have what you want.
Unfortunately the local places nearby tend to overcharge even worse than the online options from what I've seen. Really wish I had a rural king or something like it nearby. I see lots of ppl talking about cheap lumberjack pellets always in stock.

The only 100% mesquite pellets I can find are made by a company BBQ Delight. I know of one place that sells them local to me in the Seattle area. I have been reluctant to try them, not sure of the brand at all.

I use lumberjack everything a couple of local business sell them. They just don't have 100% mesquite. They do sell 100% hickory and 100% cherry.

If you said where you are from, it might be easier for someone to help you.

The only 100% mesquite pellets I can find are made by a company BBQ Delight. I know of one place that sells them local to me in the Seattle area. I have been reluctant to try them, not sure of the brand at all.

I use lumberjack everything a couple of local business sell them. They just don't have 100% mesquite. They do sell 100% hickory and 100% cherry.

If you said where you are from, it might be easier for someone to help you.
I just looked harder at BBQ Delight and they are 1/3 flavor wood and 2/3 oak. So now I don't know of any company that makes 100% mesquite.

tallbm tallbm found a source for 100% mesquite pellets after LumberJack went to a blend

I don’t use the “cheaper” blends such as Pit Boss. Just don’t care for them
My go to pellet in the hopper was Bear Mountain oak. Last I shopped them the price had gone up
If I want a particular flavor those pellets go in the smoke tube
Good luck

It's hard to find 100% fruit wood as well as hickory. Fruit wood is soft and has to have a harder wood mixed in so the pellets will feed properly.

Has anyone done research to find the best (read cheapest) place to buy 100% hickory or 100% mesquite pellets online? Seems like I'm running across a lot if $50 to $70 price tags for 40 lb bags, which seems pretty high despite 100% flavor wood being more expensive than blends. I tend to believe that the brand probably doesn't matter too much if it's 100% one type of wood, so I don't really care which brand.

For the record, if it drops the price notably, I'm happy to grab multiple bags... but I'm not interested in pallet of them or anything like that.

For the record, I'm not going to be running only the 100% single-wood pellets by themselves, I'll be mixing them in with cheaper blends to adjust the portion of these more flavorful woods I'm burning.

Thanks!
Where are you located?

Perfect Pellet, Kingsford, or Lumberjack are good for 100% Hickory. Academy and Dicks Sporting seem to sell Lumberjack.
Home Depot sells Perfect Pellet Hickory. Kingsford may be found at various grocery stores as well.

100% Mesquite is going to be hard to find unless you are in North Texas. These are the Shuping100% Mesquite I got my hands on and I know they were being sold at a nice but smaller chain of grocery stores in TX called "Market Street" (not to be confused with Central Market).

You can find them here but shipping is going to cost you an arm and a leg, but hey, they do exist :D
ts_20_lb_800x_255ae03b-3528-4d2b-b953-bc47b5f82123.jpg

Where are you located?

Perfect Pellet, Kingsford, or Lumberjack are good for 100% Hickory. Academy and Dicks Sporting seem to sell Lumberjack.
Home Depot sells Perfect Pellet Hickory. Kingsford may be found at various grocery stores as well.

100% Mesquite is going to be hard to find unless you are in North Texas. These are the Shuping100% Mesquite I got my hands on and I know they were being sold at a nice but smaller chain of grocery stores in TX called "Market Street" (not to be confused with Central Market).

You can find them here but shipping is going to cost you an arm and a leg, but hey, they do exist :D
View attachment 678354
Can you really tell the difference in taste?

Can you really tell the difference in taste?
I can tell the difference in taste between types of woods and the % difference when blending woods.

So far, I can NOT tell the difference between different brands of 100% of a wood. So I wouldn't be able to tell you that Perfect Pellet 100% Hickory is better or not than Lumberjack 100% Hickory.

Also, I'm not a cigarette smoker so no taste dulling here and actually I'm probably more on the tasting sensitive side but don't think I'm a "power" taster like those people who can taste small amounts and taste everything in a flavor :D

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Thanks for the responses, I'll check out the options posted. For reference, I'm in Western NY (think Buffalo) so it sounds like 100% Mesquite may shipping-only for me.

Reactions: tallbm
Thanks for the responses, I'll check out the options posted. For reference, I'm in Western NY (think Buffalo) so it sounds like 100% Mesquite may shipping-only for me.

I haven’t tried them yet, but I have used the mesquite and post oak from Shuping, Texas and really like them. You can google Texas Foods Direct for a website.

So far my favorite pellet is Oklahoma Joe's Hickory. I got lucky on Amazon they were $9 for 20#s with free shipping. I found you need to shop pellets often to catch a good deal.
Least favorite are pit boss, and tragger especially "Meat Church" Very dusty.

Bear Moutain I rate as good flavor but high ash. Tractor Supply carries them locally.

Pellets I want to try are Kingsford, and LumberJack. Lumberjack are hard to come in my area.

As I have found, there 100% wood pellets but no pure like 100% hickory. They all have ssome sort of other wood like oak or cherry but no fillers or binders.

So far my favorite pellet is Oklahoma Joe's Hickory. I got lucky on Amazon they were $9 for 20#s with free shipping. I found you need to shop pellets often to catch a good deal.
Least favorite are pit boss, and tragger especially "Meat Church" Very dusty.

Bear Moutain I rate as good flavor but high ash. Tractor Supply carries them locally.

Pellets I want to try are Kingsford, and LumberJack. Lumberjack are hard to come in my area.

As I have found, there 100% wood pellets but no pure like 100% hickory. They all have ssome sort of other wood like oak or cherry but no fillers or binders.

Kingsford and Lumberjack are 100% of the wood they list unless they say they are a blend, which they really call out on the bag.

Reactions: mike243
I've been using Home Depot to bring in my pellets.
If you're a vet and register you get 10% off.
You get delivery to your home or whichever Home Depot you choose.

100% Hickory Cookin' Pellets are 100% hickory.
105 for 3 40# bags
73 for 2 40# bags
36 for 1 40# bag

Delivered.. :)

100% Black Cherry Cookin' Pellets are 100% Black Cherry. I like them for pork and chicken.

This has been an easy option for me.
I seldom find interesting pellets on the shelf in my area.

Home Depot also delivers Knotty Wood pellets 100% Almond,100% Plumb and some combinations of such.....I like them a lot..

Those 100% Mesquite in post #8 look like something I'd like to try.

EDIT>>>I guess Cookin Pellets are Perfect Pellets.....redundant post . They're still good.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky