Grand Canyon (Some Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

seenred

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 9, 2009
N.E. Oklahoma
I know...usually when someone says "let me show you pictures of our vacation", you roll your eyes and try to sneak away! So be warned - sneak away now if you need to...

So Mrs. Red and her mother had never been to the Grand Canyon...and that was on both their bucket lists (IMHO, it should be on everyone's bucket list). I'd been once, but many, many years ago. So that's the trip we took last month. Any of y'all who've never seen it, I highly recommend finding a chance to go.

Like anyone who's every seen it in person, I'll say that pictures don't do it justice...you have to see it for yourself to truly appreciate how incredibly spectacular it really is. But I'm gonna show you some pictures anyway...

So these are views from inside the park at the south rim, and from a helicopter. If you go, and can afford it, you get views from the air that you'll never see any other way.

gc1.jpg

gc2.jpg

gc3.jpg

gc4.jpg

gc5.jpg

gc6.jpg

gc7.jpg

gc8.jpg

Like many who've seen it, it is my opinion that it's most spectacular in the few minutes right before sunset.

gc9.jpg

gc10.jpg

gc11.jpg

gc12.jpg

gc13.jpg

gc14.jpg

gc15.jpg

If you stayed for the slide show, thanks for looking!

Red

Beautiful Red, just beautiful. Anybody who sneers at this and walks away must be a communist or something :emoji_laughing: Nowhere have I seen America better showcased than these pics. Thanks for sharing and no BS here. Tracy and I have been discussing where our next trip was going to be. well sir, I believe you've helped us to figure it out :emoji_wink:

Robert

I made a stop there on the way to Reno for a nursing job. And you are so right....I always thought looking at pics "ok thats nice." Then I saw it in person....I was totally blown away. And your pics have captured the beauty of the canyon.

Jim

Reactions: seenred
Beautiful Red, just beautiful. Anybody who sneers at this and walks away must be a communist or something :emoji_laughing: Nowhere have I seen America better showcased than these pics. Thanks for sharing and no BS here. Tracy and I have been discussing where our next trip was going to be. well sir, I believe you've helped us to figure it out :emoji_wink:

Robert

Thank you Robert! If you and Tracy make the trip, I'll look forward to hearing about it!

I made a stop there on the way to Reno for a nursing job. And you are so right....I always thought looking at pics "ok thats nice." Then I saw it in person....I was totally blown away. And your pics have captured the beauty of the canyon.

Jim

The first time I saw it was a similar deal. I think it was sometime around 1987 or '88. I'd been working for a year or so in SoCal, and was driving back home to NE Oklahoma at the end of the job. I decided to take the time to detour up to the south rim. Got there just before sundown. Walking up to the rim, and seeing it for the first time was breathtaking! The thought that kept going through my head was "this can't be real...that must be some giant mural landscape painting".

Sorry this sounds kinda mushy, but it was a pretty emotional experience. Anyone with a love and appreciation for natural beauty has to be profoundly affected by something so awe-inspiring!

Thanks for the kind words Jim!

Red

"Sorry this sounds kinda mushy, but it was a pretty emotional experience. Anyone with a love and appreciation for natural beauty has to be profoundly affected by something so awe-inspiring!"

Dude, you said it all right there. Crater Lake in Oregon gave me the same reaction.

Jim

Awesome pictures it's some place I hope to get to see in person

The Grand has been on my list for many years and I am finally blessed to have the opportunity to go in October. I will be rafting the Canyon. It is a three week trip. I am looking forward to those sunsets and time spent with friends in God’s country.

Anyone with a love and appreciation for natural beauty has to be profoundly affected
Could not have been stated any better than this. Showed your pics to Tracy yesterday afternoon and she is in...hook, line, and sinker. Got the house torn to pieces right now having all the carpet removed and new tile installed. Should be done in a couple more days and when the house is back in order, we will start planning the trip. Thanks VERY much once again for posting these pics Red.

Robert

The Grand has been on my list for many years and I am finally blessed to have the opportunity to go in October. I will be rafting the Canyon. It is a three week trip. I am looking forward to those sunsets and time spent with friends in God’s country.

That's awesome man! I'll bet that will be an amazing trip! The only rafting I ever did was many years ago on the Arkansas river just below the Royal Gorge in Colorado...very intense but a lot of fun!

I hope you'll share your experiences here after your adventure!

Could not have been stated any better than this. Showed your pics to Tracy yesterday afternoon and she is in...hook, line, and sinker. Got the house torn to pieces right now having all the carpet removed and new tile installed. Should be done in a couple more days and when the house is back in order, we will start planning the trip. Thanks VERY much once again for posting these pics Red.

Robert

That's great Robert! I'll be looking forward to hearing about it!

Great photos Red! That is on our list to visit when we retire in a few years.

Thanks Steve! Hope you get the chance to see it!

Red

Absolutely stunning pictures Red, and thank you for sharing! Never been there myself, have flown over it, obviously not the same as standing there. I would like to get there one day.

Dave

seenred seenred , I grew up in Canon City and worked summers at the Royal Gorge. That stretch is one I knew well in my younger days!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky