Good morning from Colorado

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

powwowq

Original poster
Apr 29, 2017
Colorado
So I have been smoking for many years using traditional native ways, but only a few years with a propane smoker. Looking at maybe upgrading but still learning. We take alot of what we smoke to powwows that we take part in or to my crew at the firehouse. Looking forward to so good info to make our smoking better

Thanks for the welcome.  So here are two Traditional Native ways for smoking. 

Large Game ( deer, elk, moose, and best Techula "Bison") Remember bison is different than buffalo.  Best to use pure breed bison, these are not mixed with Bovine for meat marbling.

Bison Flank cut into thin slices

With each slice run a thin stick horizontal top and bottom then weave on vertical stick "long" under the two horizontal sticks to hold the meat at the end of the long stick.

Place the long stick in the ground to hold the meat over a small fire high enough to keep it out of direct flame but in the smoke.

Smoke till meat is hard and dry.

Grind meat into small pieces on a stone (molcajete or metate).

Mix in Wasna or Pemmican ( choke cherries ground on a special stone) and Bapa ( Bison Kidney Fat) with Bison meat. Don't use beef fat it will make the mixture spoil faster.  Mix these till thick and pliable.  Can be formed into bars or patties. Very high in energy.

Fish:

can be done similar with sticks over fire or a small house can be built with willows and leaves. place fish fillets over sticks and place across the interior of the shack.  small fire can be built in the center feed with green branches.

Just finished salmon on my new traeger 34 pro. did a dry rub with sage and wasna and smoked it with a mesquite. tasted like the traditional. was awesome.  Enjoy let me know how it turns out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky