Gochujang ribs.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DocSteve

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 27, 2018
Was married to a Korean woman for 15 years, lived next door to her mom for 3 1/2 of them. Ate lots of Korean food.
Found this recipe for Gochujang ribs. It's a Korean paste, some say spicy, made from soy beans. It's delicious. Did a regular rack since I had the smoker going. I tweaked the recipe a little on times.
Done on a GMG.
225' degrees
Pecan

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-02-05-16-41-30(1).png
    Screenshot_2019-02-05-16-41-30(1).png
    496 KB · Views: 112
  • Screenshot_2019-02-05-16-42-13(1).png
    Screenshot_2019-02-05-16-42-13(1).png
    678.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 20190205_174729.jpg
    20190205_174729.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 109
Oh yeah! I worked for a guy for 12 years that was married to a Korean.Gochujang and gochugaru...we'd doctor BBQ sauces with gochugaru and many other things more often than using gochujang,as the gochujang was homemade and in much shorter supply.

Oh yeah! I worked for a guy for 12 years that was married to a Korean.Gochujang and gochugaru...we'd doctor BBQ sauces with gochugaru and many other things more often than using gochujang,as the gochujang was homemade and in much shorter supply.
I've got a bunch of recipes that I wrote down watching her mother make meals.
No measurements so there are things like "add big pinch of ginger" then later in the recipe, "not enough ginger, add another pinch".
Old school Korean, rule was the guy, me always got food first. My wife was not happy at first about that but moms rules...lol.

I've never tried Korean spiced food, but those ribs looks really good.

Point for sure.

Chris

I've never tried Korean spiced food, but those ribs looks really good.

Point for sure.

Chris
The paste is described as spicy, don't think so myself. I cut up Habanero peppers and put on sandwiches.
I usually do dry ribs but I'm not gonna complain about these.
Sent a pic to ex wife (were friends). She brought up instead of cutting the paste w/ water, maybe a combo of sesame oil and low sodium soy sauce.
Gonna play w/ the recipe and tweak it to my tastes.
Will post results, good and bad.

Great looking ribs, Doc. Well deserving of a like.

I've traveled to South Korea a fair amount, primarily on business, for the past 30+ years, and early on, became a big fan of Korean food, and continue to frequently cook Korean inspired dishes at home.

The key ingredients in most Korean dishes are their "Jangs", or flavoring pastes and sauces, which are staples in our house. The "Holy Trinity" of the jangs are gochujang (red chili paste, hot or mild), doenjang (fermented soybean paste), and ganjang (fermented dark soy sauce). Those 3, plus a few other ingredients, creates a pretty decent Korean pantry.

For barbecue ribs, and much more, several years ago I researched and experimented a lot, and cobbled together a recipe for "Ssamjang" using the 3 above mentioned jangs as the foundation . Ssam, in English, loosely translates to "Wrap" and refers to the very popular dish of hand held food wrapped in a large vegetable leaf, such as lettuce. The filling of a ssam typically is bite sized pieces of some type of barbecued meat accompanied with some type of vegetable mix, often kimchi, followed with a dose of ssamjang. While I make ssams from time to time, the ssamjang is also my "Go To" barbecue sauce for ribs, pulled pork, wings, etc.

Great looking ribs, Doc. Well deserving of a like.

I've traveled to South Korea a fair amount, primarily on business, for the past 30+ years, and early on, became a big fan of Korean food, and continue to frequently cook Korean inspired dishes at home.

The key ingredients in most Korean dishes are their "Jangs", or flavoring pastes and sauces, which are staples in our house. The "Holy Trinity" of the jangs are gochujang (red chili paste, hot or mild), doenjang (fermented soybean paste), and ganjang (fermented dark soy sauce). Those 3, plus a few other ingredients, creates a pretty decent Korean pantry.

For barbecue ribs, and much more, several years ago I researched and experimented a lot, and cobbled together a recipe for "Ssamjang" using the 3 above mentioned jangs as the foundation . Ssam, in English, loosely translates to "Wrap" and refers to the very popular dish of hand held food wrapped in a large vegetable leaf, such as lettuce. The filling of a ssam typically is bite sized pieces of some type of barbecued meat accompanied with some type of vegetable mix, often kimchi, followed with a dose of ssamjang. While I make ssams from time to time, the ssamjang is also my "Go To" barbecue sauce for ribs, pulled pork, wings, etc.
Spent 3 1/2 years living next door to now ex mother in law. Ate true Korean food 3-4 times a week.
Also spent a month in Thailand traveling through remote regions giving out free medical care.
Fell in love w/ authentic Thai food as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky