Frustrated with smoker temperature...Need Help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

StillShamming

Original poster
Jun 26, 2018
My father in law bought my a Smoke Hollow 36" Gas Smoker. I recently just did a smoke with some ribs to test it out. Previously I had a Dyno-Glo that my Uncle commandeered and I use to have no issues with.

The issue with the smoker is I can't keep a steady temp from 225-250. It will continuously jump 10-20 degrees below or above. I have played with the gas valve, the temperature gauge, and the dampers with no success on keeping a steady temperature. I installed the lavarock gaskets to try and help the air seeping out the doors as well. I am also using a thermoworks smoke thermometer on the top rack to gauge temp. I also used a small cast iron pan to use as a chip holder, as many have suggested on here to help from flare-ups. But when using the cast iron, I never received any smoke. The pan and chunks were both hot but never got any smoke from them until I used the one that came with the smoker.

Also, not pictured are three holes at the bottom of the smoker under the flame, Can or should I close these? Would think the bottom would be sealed to protect airflow. If anyone has this smoker or any tips on adequately keeping temp with a propane tank or any mods that may help salvage my frustration with this smoker. Also, any suggestions on the cast iron heating up the chunks to smoke would be awesome.
IMG-4427.JPG IMG-4428.JPG IMG-4426.JPG IMG-4424.JPG IMG-4423.JPG

Last edited:
I am not familiar with gas smokers. If it is anything like my over 10-20 swings in either direction is not that bad.
Could very well just be how the controller works and this is expected.
Temp swings of 20 degrees on any of my cookers dont bother me at all.

Do NOT plug off any air holes... air is needed for clean, creosote free smoke...

I've tried cast iron pans for chip smoking... They have a ton of thermal mass that distributes heat evenly... I've had better luck with SS pans like used in the Big Chief smokers... To prevent flare up, of the chips, cover about 95% of the chips with foil to reduce oxygen so they smolder better...... OR..... use 1 chunk of wood... 2 chunks will make a fire... no good for smoke... These "cookies", used one at a time, do a great job of producing smoke... no foil needed... a cast iron pan in this smoker would NOT produce smoke..
67502bb8_Hotplatecookiespan.jpg

10-20 degree swings are normal for me. With most pork or beef I smoke. I only act when I get to 215f or 245f as I am always shooting for 220-240. So I guess I'm ok with a 20 degree swing and I get fantastic results. I'm always monitoring the IT and the CC temp with my thermpro TP-20. I also use a little charcoal in a cast iron pan but just to start it. I pile hickory or Apple wood chunks onto the charcoal and get it all going. Adjust intakes and exhaust to get that thin blue smoke and dial that temp in. Everything stays in my cast iron pan. I don't use any other heat or smoke source. Fish is more delicate so I try to never go over 200f and never under 170f......but I'm also just learning to run my big black box (that rocks!).

+2 on the swings. Typical for a gasser. Drove me nuts. Mine was more like 30-50F. Same issue trying to generate smoke. I contemplated modding with a needle valve but on a whim jumped on an MES30 and never looked back. Pickup an AMNPS for smoke and see if that helps then see if you can live with the swings.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky