From The Ashes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Robert H

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 29, 2017
I had two whole bellies to smoke yesreday..........so......one turned out awesome, the other, well.
I only do one belly at a tiime for now because of space in my smoker so the fiest one comes out great but I was aeound 120 deg on the second and it caught fire, drip pan leaked onto the gas burner and my fridge smoker and skin on bellies were in flames.Anyway....pullrd it out and put out fire tuened gas off looked at the charred belly anf thought it wa a write off.
Today I peeled thw burnt skin off and trimmed the char off the rest and resmoked to 140 deg.
i lost some volume but still came out serviceable.Oh, lost a porkhock in the process also amd my fridgesmoker door warped some from the heat but still is fine, lucky I didnt lose more.
Maybe label the foodsaver bags as hot bacon,
Resized_20180324_113902_5373.jpeg
20180325_194245.jpg

I had a whole grill of Grampa's ribs go up on me last June (6 racks). I feel your pain! :oops:
The wife said, "They're ruined, aren't they?" :(
There wasn't time to get new ones. So I scraped away the char and found still good meat inside then saved them.
The truly shocking part, people liked them. :confused::eek:o_O

What you managed to recover there looks great compared to what you were faced with.
But it's heart breaking to find your cook up in flames. Hope you can recover your smoker OK.

Well Done! I betcha it's great too! ;):D

Reactions: piker
Got lucky and all is good....lesson learned, sounds like you did too.Fried some up amd tastes great,,,,,,pops brine.

Knife skills are not bad but no, not hand sliced.I found a nice old Berkel slicer a few weeks back and it makes quick work of anything put on it.

I remember doing half chickens many years ago at the firehouse. I went out to check on them and you couldn’t see the barbecue. All you could see was a solid, rectangular column of black smoke...

Reactions: SonnyE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky