Fried Turkey & Fried Pickles

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dirty Nails

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 8, 2020
Chesapeake, VA
Right after getting a grill and smoker for Christmas, I bought a 12 pound turkey and I intended to smoke it. However, after reading about the brining process and such, yes, I got intimidated and decided to fry the turkey instead (though I will attempt to practice smoke a chicken soon). Anyway, here's some photos of the seasoned turkey and the fried turkey. I've fried approximately 30 turkeys over the years and I've never been disappointed. Forum member SmokinVOLfan's Big Batch O'Pickles thread from a couple weeks ago sort of inspired me to fry some pickles. While the turkey was frying at 325 degrees, I rolled a jumbo jar of dill pickles chips through a mixture of flour and Tony Chachere's original seasoning. Once the turkey was done, I dropped the pickles in until they floated and they were great. Anyone else out there agree that turkey is underrated? It ticks me off that turkeys are so hard to find February through September. I could eat turkey just as much as we eat beef, pork, and fish. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• Seasoned Turkey.jpg
    Seasoned Turkey.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Fried Turkey.jpg
    Fried Turkey.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Unfried Pickles.jpg
    Unfried Pickles.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Fried Pickles.jpg
    Fried Pickles.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 34
Nice cook. Buy turkeys during the holidays and freeze. Our Wally world was clearing out their backup freezer space and I bought some for $.39 lb. I have smoked a lot of turkeys and as long as you reach 140 IT in 4 hrs. your good. If you brine in Pops brine the safe part in 4 hrs. really doesn't apply because you are using cure #1. You should brine turkeys over 12lb.

Warren

Looks good DN! I absolutely love fried pickles.

If there was one thing that would make me purchase a deep fryer...it would be pickles.

like!

Reactions: Dirty Nails
The turkey looks fantastic. I live in a small town & all the stores carry turkeys year round. As a matter Of fact I have a Butterball white meat turkey breast in the SV right now. It’s one of those boneless tied globs of meat. But they sure slice up nice for sammies! 6 hours @ 131 degrees, with some butter lemon & Montreal chicken seasoning. Oh, I almost forgot, I love fried pickles!!!!!
Al

The turkey looks fantastic. I live in a small town & all the stores carry turkeys year round. As a matter Of fact I have a Butterball white meat turkey breast in the SV right now. It’s one of those boneless tied globs of meat. But they sure slice up nice for sammies! 6 hours @ 131 degrees, with some butter lemon & Montreal chicken seasoning. Oh, I almost forgot, I love fried pickles!!!!!
Al
Thanks Al! As much as I love smoked briskets, baby ribs, roasted chickens, spaghetti and meatballs, the truth is turkey is my first love. I should have taken a photo of the leftover carcass! I have just enough left for a soup tomorrow night. We have four kids, ages 17, 15, 12 & 10 - the turkey and pickles were devoured. I mean, a guy could have lost a finger reaching for the fried pickles! Thanks for the reply.

Thanks Travis. Question: Are Cornish game hens tasty? I saw your post of the hens and ribs, I've never had one. Taste similar to chicken?
They are great. Cornish hens are basicly a baby chicken. Most of your commercial chickens are of the cornish-cross breed. They breed them for breast size and fast growth. I'm guessing the Cornish hens I baught were no older than 3 weeks. They do have very thin delicate skin. Makes for easy crispy skin when smoking. The ones I had were 1lb birds. Tyson sells them in a two pack but I think they are a little bigger than that.

Damn man the turkey and pickles look awesome! BIG LIKE! My wife loves fried pickles I need to try this out soon.

I fry and smoke turkeys around the holidays and smoke them year round. I like both but the last two years the smoked birds have taken the cake. Don't let the brining discourage you from trying it. If you need any help just let me know I would be glad to give you any advice I can. Its not as difficult and time consuming as it may come across.

That's a fine looking bird there all deep-fried up, Like! I've never had a fried pickle but I'd sure like to try one of yours. RAY

Damn man the turkey and pickles look awesome! BIG LIKE! My wife loves fried pickles I need to try this out soon.

I fry and smoke turkeys around the holidays and smoke them year round. I like both but the last two years the smoked birds have taken the cake. Don't let the brining discourage you from trying it. If you need any help just let me know I would be glad to give you any advice I can. Its not as difficult and time consuming as it may come across.
SmokinVOLfan, thanks for the offer. In about 2 or 3 weeks I'll contact you again because I'll attempt a smoked chicken. Thanks a lot. Dirty Nails

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
That's a fine looking bird there all deep-fried up, Like! I've never had a fried pickle but I'd sure like to try one of yours. RAY
Thanks! Oh man - fried pickles are spectacular! I'm not sure where you're located, but fried pickles are on a lot of menus across the southeast.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky