Formulating a pineapple smoke sausage recipe....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
I have been asked to come up with a pineapple sausage recipe. Friends and family enjoy my smoke sausage recipe and say it is very close to the base seasoning used by the Lil' Butcher Shoppe in Hattisburg Mississippi in their pineapple sausage recipe. Might have a go at a batch with some of the extra pork left over from processing day. I've always wanted to make a batch. Here is what I have so far:

Pineapple
25# 75/25 pork butt
1 oz. cure #1
108g salt
20g Black Pepper
24g cayenne powder
30g MSG
1/2c. Dark Brown sugar
2c. crushed canned pineapple (MUST BE CANNED!)
1/4c. soy sauce
1 1/2TBSP. granulated garlic
1 tsp. powdered ginger
1 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. cardamom powder

8 ounces NFDM powder

Last edited:
Reactions: checkdude
Any tweaks recommended?

Chef jj (and everyone else)- more or less soy sauce? sugar? pineapple?

More or less ginger? cardamom??

Any spice profile I am missing??? I thought the piri-piri spice profile would compliment the soy and pineapple with the sugar.....

Everything below the MSG looks like proportions for 5 Lbs not 25, unless you usually make a very mildly spiced sausage.
Piri Piri usually has Cinnamon at the same proportion as the Cardamom. And Oregano at the Garlic proportion. I would go light, 1 or 2 teaspoons, Oregano, with those proportions...JJ

Reactions: indaswamp
Everything below the MSG looks like proportions for 5 Lbs not 25, unless you usually make a very mildly spiced sausage.
Piri Piri usually has Cinnamon at the same proportion as the Cardamom. And Oregano at the Garlic proportion. I would go light, 1 or 2 teaspoons, Oregano, with those proportions...JJ

2.5cups of sugar seems high to me for 25# of meat....

Depends on how sweet you want it. Filipino Longganisa uses 1/2C to 3 lbs pork and is noticeably sweet. Chinese Lap Chong uses 1/4C to 3 lbs pork. It is mildly sweet.
So 1 1/4C in 25 lbs would be a good place to start. Will be a noticeable sweetness but not to heavy. Add more if needed...JJ

Depends on how sweet you want it. Filipino Longanisa uses 1/2C to 3 lbs pork and is noticeably sweet.
Gotcha...
I'm going for an appetizer style sausage to serve at parties and such as finger food. I do want it sweet to highlight the pineapple, I just figured the pineapple would bring some natural sweetness to the sausage.

And the spice profile I want as an accent, not a main player. I want the pineapple to be the highlight of the link.

Maybe 3/4c. sugar
2.5lbs. crushed pineapple with juice (say 5 cups?)

Last edited:
Now that you mention it, I use 1 1/4 cup cane syrup per 25# of meat when I make my bulk breakfast sausage.

Good call...That should work.

3/4C will likely be only slightly sweet. I would double it. 1C Canned Crushed Pineapple yields 2/3C Drained Crushed Pineapple. So 7C Drained Crushed Pineapple is 8oz per each 5 pounds sausage. A good start but have extra pineapple on hand...JJ

3/4C will likely be only slightly sweet. I would double it. 1C Canned Crushed Pineapple yields 2/3C Drained Crushed Pineapple. So 7C Drained Crushed Pineapple is 8oz per each 5 pounds sausage. A good start but have extra pineapple on hand...JJ
Would you add just the crushed pineapple or crushed pineapple and the juice? Adding the juice would no doubt add sweetness.

Edit #1:

Pineapple
25# 75/25 pork butt
1 oz. cure #1
108g salt
20g Black Pepper
24g cayenne powder
30g MSG
1 1/4c. Dark Brown sugar
1 1/2 TBSPS. Paprika
7c. crushed canned pineapple (MUST BE CANNED!)
1/4c. soy sauce
1 TBSP. oregano
1 tsp. powdered ginger
1 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. cardamom powder
1/4tsp. nutmeg

8 ounces NFDM

5 to 10% liquid per 5 pounds meat is common. So 1/2 to 1C liquid. 1/4C Soy and 1/4C Pineapple juice per 5 pounds would work...JJ

Edit #2:

Pineapple
25# 75/25 pork butt
1 oz. cure #1
108g salt
20g Black Pepper
24g cayenne powder
30g MSG
1 1/4c. Dark Brown sugar
1 1/2 TBSPS. Paprika
7c. crushed canned pineapple drained (MUST BE CANNED!)
1/2 TBSP. oregano
1 tsp. powdered ginger
1 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. cardamom powder
1/4tsp. nutmeg

1 1/4 c. soy sauce
1 1/4 c. pineapple juice
8 ounces NFDM

Last edited:
That amount of salt and soy sauce ( about 15% Salt by weight) is about 1.2%. I think that will be good...JJ

OK, I mixed up the spice profile in the spice grinder, sampled it on the tongue, then put a pinch of brown sugar on my tongue and sampled it again....I think it's a good starting point.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky