First use of new 15# Kitchener stuffer & a recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gearloose

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 25, 2017
Southeast corner of Kansas
I finally put that new 15# Kitchener stuffer to good use this morning.  I recently reported on my results of trying some Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage clone recipes.  Spousal Unit & I really liked the hot version, so I sat down and scaled up the 1 lb. recipe to make a 10 lb. batch.  Anyone who has ever scaled a recipe up or down by any significant amount knows that it's a little more than simple multiplication or division to get good results.  Here's the modified clone recipe I ended up with.  Note that I added some paprika and a cup of ice water.  I also used the MSG this time, which I did not do in the original test.  I recommend using the MSG.

Jimmy Dean Hot Sausage Clone recipe (modified)

10 lb. batch:

10 lb. Boston Butt (ground through 1/4" plate)
5 Tbsp. salt
5 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp. rubbed dried sage
1 Tbsp. ground black pepper
1 Tbsp. crushed red pepper
1 Tbsp. ground coriander

1Tbsp. paprika
2 teaspoon MSG (such as Accent Flavor Enhancer)

1 cup cold water

I mixed everything together in my Kitchener 20# meat mixer. (also first use for that toy)  I give it an enthusiastic five stars!  It works very well, and I only paid $69.00 for it.  Cleanup was a snap.

You will note that there are only nine 1# bags on the cart.  Well, after last night's test fry samples, this morning's sausage, egg & cheese bagel sandwiches, and that last little bit that every stuffer leaves in the bottom, there just wasn't quite enough for that tenth bag - but there was enough to fry up three more "sample patties!"
icon_mrgreen.gif

I'm really pleased with how this batch of breakfast sausage turned out.  Not too hot, but a definite bite of heat, and just a slight touch of sweetness.  I have no idea where the hint of sweetness came from as there are no sweet ingredients.

FYI, the stainless steel stuffing tube is from LEM and is for their #607 model stuffer. 

Looks like a nice stuffer!

I would like to upgrade from my LEM 5# someday.

But I really don't make big batches of sausage at a time so if would just be a luxury, not a necessity.

Al

Gl, nice stuffer and a good looking recipe for JD sausage !
Just out of curiosity I bought a pkg. of Jimmy Dean Hot sausage from my local WalMart this afternoon, just so I could do a side-by-side comparison of the taste with my recipe.

1.  The JD sausage is obviously a finer grind than mine. (1/4" plate)  The cooked texture is completely different.  Not better or worse, but different - JD is softer & more crumbly.

2. The heat level is nearly spot-on identical.

3. The flavors are very, very close.  The JD is lacking the sweet notes I'm noticing in my recipe. (Coriander?)  I actually prefer my recipe just a little bit more because of those sweet notes I'm getting and the firmer texture.  My preference for my own recipe has nothing to do with the $3.50 to $5.00 per pound price of the JD in my local supermarkets.  Really....well.......
rolleyes.gif

Congrats on success with the recipe and the function of the new stuffer!

I have a feeling the coriander is where your kind of sweet taste is coming from.

Also I saw you are using hog rings to seal your bags.  If you get tired of the slow speed and some of the hassle associated with hog rings you may want to look into the LEM tape machine.  It is awesome for the ground meat bags!!!

I stuff all my ground meat bags and then tape seal them after.

It takes me less than 5 minutes for me to twist and seal 30 bags and there is even a razor blade in the machine that allows you to cut off excess bag.  The tape and excess bag cut basically happens all in 1 motion.

From one ground bag stuffer to another, I figured you would understand the ease and benefit of the tape machine for bagging your grind and sausage.  Best of luck :)

Congrats on success with the recipe and the function of the new stuffer!

I have a feeling the coriander is where your kind of sweet taste is coming from.

Also I saw you are using hog rings to seal your bags.  If you get tired of the slow speed and some of the hassle associated with hog rings you may want to look into the LEM tape machine.  It is awesome for the ground meat bags!!!

I stuff all my ground meat bags and then tape seal them after.

It takes me less than 5 minutes for me to twist and seal 30 bags and there is even a razor blade in the machine that allows you to cut off excess bag.  The tape and excess bag cut basically happens all in 1 motion.

From one ground bag stuffer to another, I figured you would understand the ease and benefit of the tape machine for bagging your grind and sausage.  Best of luck :)
I looked at that gizmo on the LEM site, and watched their video.  It certainly looks like a slick machine, but I doubt I'll ever be making up more than 10-12 bags at a time.  That's really not much effort.  I also look with longing and envy at that hand-cranked linking machine LEM has, but no way I can justify $500 for that toy!

I looked at that gizmo on the LEM site, and watched their video.  It certainly looks like a slick machine, but I doubt I'll ever be making up more than 10-12 bags at a time.  That's really not much effort.  I also look with longing and envy at that hand-cranked linking machine LEM has, but no way I can justify $500 for that toy!
Ah I understand.

As for the linking machine I'll have to look that one up.  I don't think I would get get it.  I'm fine with hand twisting my links plus I like that when I make fresh sausage I can do them a little squishy so when they plump on the grill they do not bust, split, or blow out at all and come out perfect! :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky